What would you guys rather get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you guys rather get?

A gibson faded, or a Burny SG standard in black?

Re: What would you guys rather get?

Gibson.
    Burny will not hold value and not all of them are good especially thier pickups sound terrible.

Comment

The Gibson...and it's a cheap enough guitar where you can mod it as you like with none of the guilt...LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Gibson if we're talking about the faded Jr. with the P-90s. I would stay away from the faded SGs - they just don't do it for me. I wouldn't buy the Burny at all.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Gibson.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

What if you felt when you played a Gibson Faded it felt pretty crapy.. especially the neck feeling...? I have a Greco Les Paul Custom and I love it so thats why i'm leaning towards the Burny..

Comment

The Gibson fadeds I've played have some of the worst frets--felt like they were slapped on the neck and not finished at all. To me, the guitars felt really cheap and crappy--an insult to the Gibson name.

Never seen a Burny before, but it couldn't be much worse than the fadeds that I've played. Obviously, resale value is going to differ, but the fadeds are fairly cheap so it's not like your talking resale value on a $1000+ guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                What if you felt when you played a Gibson Faded it felt pretty crapy.. especially the neck feeling...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I would keep playing them until I found a good one. I don't like knock-offs - I accept no substitute. But go for whatever works for you.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

a place by me has a import SG copy I think Tokai. its by far better than most of the NEW NON high end gibsons ive played & it looks like a 61 re-issue which to me is the coolest SG. the pickups were crappy but nuthing a set of duncans cant fix.

Comment

I've got a faded/worn cherry Les Paul Studio, and I love it. It's a Musician's Fiend Exclusive "Vintage Mahogany" model... all mahogany, including the carved top, and I love everything about it. It's got a matte satin finish on it that feels great, fretwork is great. Everything about the guitar feels awesome. The only thing I did was change out the Burstbucker Pro pups (they were very nice sounding BTW, I just wanted a little more gain) to an EMG ZW set, put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. And I had a fine-tuning TP6 tailpiece laying around that I also put on it.

They were $999, I got mine on sale for $899, now they're $799. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/111099
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ya that looks really nice, but i'm just aiming at 500 dollars or less mark and i really interested in a SG.

I really don't know if i would like the SG.. the ones i've tried so far at musiciansfriend felt half assed.

Comment

Gibson

Comment

Well, I'm a mij fan. Burny is just a product line of Fernandes same as Edwards/Navigator which is ESP Japan and they make some damn fine guitars. There are planty of nice Burnys in abundance on the market and for same money.. I feel I'd probably be happier about a mid 80ish Burny than a mass produced present day Gibson. Altho, I think some of the crescent inlay lower buck USA Gibsons I've played haven't been to bad if you can find one used for cheap and the neck doesn't have warp issues. SG's are getting good money overall. I've seen alot of Gibson project SG's going for reasonable prices on eBay over the last year though if you feel like trying your hand at putting some work into one.

Getting off topic a little..90's Gibson V reissues are going pretty cheap now too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            What if you felt when you played a Gibson Faded it felt pretty crapy.. especially the neck feeling...? I have a Greco Les Paul Custom and I love it so thats why i'm leaning towards the Burny..

[/ QUOTE ]

You need sand paper. I have a faded Les Paul Melody Maker and the neck is sanded and oiled and it feels AMAZING. A buddy of mine bought a faded SG last weekend and buffed it out and put some Iommi sig. pickups in it and it kicks ass now. So my advice is to judge the neck by it's shape and frets but not the crappy texture because that is easily corrected.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need sand paper. I have a faded Les Paul Melody Maker and the neck is sanded and oiled and it feels AMAZING. A buddy of mine bought a faded SG last weekend and buffed it out and put some Iommi sig. pickups in it and it kicks ass now. So my advice is to judge the neck by it's shape and frets but not the crappy texture because that is easily corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I don't understand how it can have a "crappy" texture. It's just a matte satin lacquer finish... feels close enough to oiled to me, very smooth playing.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X