Hamer California Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer California Deluxe

I ran across one of these the other day but didn't get a chance to play it. Any thoughts on these as far as playability, neck width and feel. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Re: Hamer California Deluxe

I had a Hamer Californian for awhile. Very thin, fast neck. Width felt about the same as my Jacksons. 27 frets took some getting used to for me, but otherwise, playability was its strong suit. Nice, sculpted super-Strat body with thoughtful touches, like a Strat-style output jackplate mounted upside down on the back edge of the guitar, which neatly routes your cord up through your strap and away from your feet. Nice guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      with thoughtful touches, like a Strat-style output jackplate mounted upside down on the back edge of the guitar, which neatly routes your cord up through your strap and away from your feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really! That exact feature is on my Rand, too!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Was it an import or USA? The import Deluxe is a pretty good Korean axe, but the USA models (Deluxe, Elite, Custom, etc.) will give any USA Jackson a run for its money. I have two USA Californians, a Deluxe and an Elite. Here are a couple of pics, but they are old and my scanner was pretty bad...

Cali Elite w\ "Cherry Transparent" finish over mahogany, DiMarzio PAF Pro (b) and Duncan Parallel Axis Tremstack (n), bound ebony board and Schaller Floyd: http://www.users.qwest.net/~livak/rc2.jpg

Cali Deluxe w\ "Gold Granite" finish over alder, EMG 89 (b) and SA (n), unbound ebony board and Schaller Floyd: http://www.users.qwest.net/~livak/hcd3.jpg

Great guitars, with the Elite being my favorite. My brother has a USA Diablo with Duncan JBs and a Schaller Floyd that's also very nice.
        sigpic

Comment

Mine was just a Korean import, but it was an older one. I've since seen a few at Guitar Center that look fancier (boomerangs, etc.), but don't compare to it, in terms of feel/playability. The neck absolutely spoiled me. It's SO thin and comfortable. The body is a very smart take on the super-Strat shape. Again, thin, beautiful and comfortable, with great access.

Growing up with 22 fret guitars (Charvel Model 2, Kramer Focus 1000), the 27 frets confused me (guess I'm easily confused), so I ended up not playing it enough to justify keeping it, and gave it to my nephew. I also did not like the original bridge pickup, or the Full Shred I replaced it with. Mine was a bit plain, with no binding, and simple dot inlays. The boomerangs on that one of yours are wild! One at the third fret, and one at the octave? I've never seen that before!

I once saw a SOLID figured maple USA Californian on ebay. It was one of the prettiest guitars I've ever seen. I think it went for $1500, but I couldn't justify it. It was sitting in front of a Soldano 4x12, too. I used to sit there looking at it and think about how lucky that guy was. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If ER wasn't such a world class moron, I'd get one of his "Glocks," which can be ordered with a Californian-style body and a direct-mount pickup. One of those with 22 frets would be fantastic, IMO.

Comment

The one I saw was an import with the boomerang markings, I hope to get back to check it out before it's gone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I once saw a SOLID figured maple USA Californian on ebay. It was one of the prettiest guitars I've ever seen. I think it went for $1500, but I couldn't justify it. It was sitting in front of a Soldano 4x12, too. I used to sit there looking at it and think about how lucky that guy was. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Soldano 4x12 a metaphor for 2x38DD's?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I ran across one of these the other day but didn't get a chance to play it. Any thoughts on these as far as playability, neck width and feel. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Is that the set neck or bolt? I've got a bolt neck
                that's beautiful. Plays like a dream, and the sculpted
                neck pocket area is really nice. FWIW, it's the most
                tuning-stable gtr I own...

theo

Comment

I had a solid tiger-stripe maple USA Elite and it was great, but didn't ever get played for whatever reason so it went!
                  Cheers
                  Ian
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I played a Californian, great feel and acoustic sound, although I think the pups (Seymour Duncan Trembuckers, designed for Floyds)sounded thin and lifeless. You never see Trembuckers anymore, SD must have given up on them. If the Hamer you saw has Trembuckers, you might want to budget some cash for a pickup swap LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X