GMW vs Suhr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GMW vs Suhr

While Suhrs look real purty nothing about them says play me to me. I'd rather have a GMW.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      While Suhrs look real purty nothing about them says play me to me. I'd rather have a GMW.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't go by the looks. You have to play one to feel the difference. I can't comment on GMW, but I can on Fender stuff...even custom shop. The Suhr blows them away. Not even close. A Suhr even c-slim neck is the most comfortable thing in the world to me. It is perfectly broken in while looking perfectly new. Fretwork is beyond compare. All of the custom strat guys are really expensive. Grosh, Tyler, Anderson, Melancon. None of them are cheap. You are not paying for radical designs. You are buying a guitar that has extreme attention to detail and feels better than anything else. I like some flashy looking guitars, but to me it is all about the feel of it in your hands. I can pick up a new Suhr and it will feel like that guitar you dream about. They are also made to last forever. I was just hoping that GMW was close to that. I may still get one in the future. All depends on how much cash I have.

Comment

Bottom line is: GMW is indeed close to the Suhr, but Suhr still has the edge.

Comment

While I haven't played a Suhr in a while, I'd say a like-quality, cheaper, and quicker alternative would be a Zion. These guitars are totally underrated, and really smoke.

Mike
          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I don't know where some of you guys are getting your prices from. I bought a loaded Suhr Std. with an insane quilt, highly figured birdseye neck, Floyd, abalone inlays, abalone logo etc. for well well under $3 K. If you are in the market for a Suhr call Wild West. They do not play around on pricing.

Regarding options, Suhr has plenty of different neck profiles and pickup choices. You can go with the Suhr pups, EMGs or send him whatever you want.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Bottom line is: GMW is indeed close to the Suhr, but Suhr still has the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't forget Suhr's buddy Tom Anderson either....both make insane guitars....

I've played a few Suhrs, owned a few Andrsons (still do) and have a GMW or two as well....my <font color="red">MAGIC </font> Anderson is one I'll never let go of, and I'm regretting selling a hardtail I had too...

However - while you can feel the quality just dripping from the Andy when you play it, the same can be said for the GMW's and they are literally a fraction of the price...and like Toru said, you can spend $3000 on a Suhr or you can spend $1500 on a GMW - it's your choice, and the GMW will be an all out shred machine....and yeah, you wait for Lee, but order a Suhr or an Anderson and be prepared to wait 6-8 months....

I will say the used market for Andersons is awesome, thats where I've scored mine...also, in terms of resale, relative to the price paid GMW's are not anywhere near as bad as Andy's and Suhrs....we see $1200 GMW's routinely selling for $850 - 900 used, but $3800 Andy's and Suhr's selling for $1700 - 2000....I can handle a $400 hit a whole lot easier tha a $1400 hit

I have to say that in Chucks case I'm super stoked for him because those guitars are special...I stumbled on the GMW stuff after owning several Andersons, and without owning a pre-pro Charvel the GMW filled a niche I had been trying to cover for 20+ years...Couldn't be happier, and the Andersons don't get played much...Chuck has gone to the Suhr from the Charvel and GMW and I think he's really blown away at how those guitars just make you want to play...

Bottom line - they're all fantastic guitars in a class of their own....at that level you just need to find what fits best - and I would seriously suggest looking into a used Anderson as well.

Steve E

Comment

Do GMW necks have a broken in feel, or are they a little "stiff" feeling when they are new?

Comment

My first felt excellent to start with, but obviously they're new guitars, so they're not going to truly feel broken in straight out of the box.
                  I can't recomend GMW enough (especially when you consider available specs against price), but then I can't help but feel Andersons and Suhrs are little pretty / coffee table so while I'm sure they're fantastic, they don't hold a great deal of appeal to me....
                  Cheers
                  Ian
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

All I own now is my Suhr. No GMWs, no Charvels, no Jacksons. When I can afford it, I will have another Suhr...oh yes I will!

[/ QUOTE ]

!!!! What! You only have one guitar? I mean, im a big gear whore but I wouldnt live without a jackson, and maybe a DTM a Warrior a Driskill ahh and why not a Suhr [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Anything that Keb Mo endorses can't possibly be bad.

Comment

Tom Anderson. Hossman will back me on this one. Haven't tried a GMW, but am jonezin to, after seeing Hossman's VH2. Suhrs are nice, but Andy's are better!

Comment

Wouldn't say Andys are better. A bit different but not better. I looked at a ton of em on many different occassions and have always preffered Suhrs. Your mileage may vary however.

Comment

Working...
                          X