Washburn J-6 -Hardware swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washburn J-6 -Hardware swap

I've got a Washburn J-6 Jazz box, and I CANNOT STAND the gold hardware. I really would rather have a Gibson ES-135-175, but this was quite a nice guitar at a nice price. I've had it about a year and a half and want to go chrome. the problem is, want to buy a chrome L-5 style tailpiece, replace the p'up covers, and put some stainless screws and grover imperials. I figure I'm out about $120-250 depending on if I replace the pickups.

Should I just sell it and get the Gibby?

What are you opinions on Grover imperials?

I don't really want to drill the holes for the imperials, but this guitar needs them (right now, has standard grovers).
    Here's a stock photo of the fiddle.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Washburn J-6 -Hardware swap

Imperials are nice tuners, especially for a guitar like yours. I have played a few and they have a nice plush kind of feel to them.

I just ordered a set of Grover Super Rotomatics which are normal Rotomatics but with the Imperial buttons. They look hot on my Les Paul.

I don't know if I'd spend that kind of cash just to convert to chrome hardware if you are already wanting to get a Gibson, especially if $ is an issue because you will be out $120 and I don't know how much people would spend for the used gold parts.

I have a J9 with gold hardware and I guess I can sympathize as it doesn't look that great. Whatever you decide know one thing, you have a great sounding guitar at a modest price.

Comment

I didn't know about the super rotomatics. Where did you pick them up? Are the holes centered or offset?
      I really dig this guitar, even acoustically, Actually Especially acoustically. I don't know if it's just the pickguard and the pickups on it, but it has a sort of dirty sound that acoustics don't normally have. It also projects sound fairly well even though it's not really an acoustic.

The finish is pretty darned good.

It feeds back a little easier than I'd like, though not uncontrollably. And the body is a little thick for my taste.

I've just been burned on cheesy gold HW on my American strat (bubbled up and peeling). On the J-6, the finish on the pickups is wearing a little on the bridge pickup and I'm just getting the feeling industrial chrome is my thing.

If I do convert it to chrome, I'll post the total bill for the job.

The J-9 looks like quite a nice deal too! Did you get the Bigsby?
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Actually the Super Rotomatics have been around for a long time. They retrofit any Rotomatic type with the mounting hole centered at 6 o' clock. I haven't taken my Washburn out of the case lately but I think they used the sets with the offset on a 45 degree angle whicj basically is the body of their 6 in-line sets with the regular Grover Rotomatic keys.

To answer your question about if I have a Bigsby, no I just have the standard Tune o matic bridge with the gaudy W tailpiece. Mine is a nice wind red color but the gold isn't the greatest.

Comment

I forgot to mention that www.Stewmac.com sells them, but Im not sure if it's cool to plug other sites or not. They are about whatever other comparable tuners cost. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X