Alvarez Acoustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alvarez Acoustics

Just looking for any input on quality of their acoustics. I played a real nice one today-AD60 I believe it was, It was Korean made, but looked absolutely flawless. The action was as low as an electric and the tone was nice and bright. Looking inside the soundhole showed very nice work-no goopy glue, very clean. Asking price was about 400 bucks, which seems cheap. Also the top was made of Dao wood, and had a great grain to it. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks!

Re: Alvarez Acoustics

Ok, I found out Dao is a type of Koa. Should have been able to tell by looking...duh. Here's a pic in case anyone cares.

Comment

I ersonally feel that Alvarez are guitars. Even thier electrics were a great bang for the buck.

My first guitar was a AE200CS, which to this day, was still the best looking cherry sunburst I've ever seen.

Pretty nice guitar for a beginner.

Neals music stole it.

Comment

Right now, my only acoustic is a very old washburn D-10. This Alvarez was like a whole different animal. I was just amazed at the tone and playability of a $400 acoustic. I checked some of the less expensive Chinese made ones, and they were OK, but this was awesome. I can't afford a Martin or Taylor or GIbson, and I would be afraid to own one for fear of wrecking it.

Comment

My very first guitar was an Alvarez acoustic. It was a great beginner's guitar, much more than an 8 year old needed. I gave it to my brother when he moved to California back in 99. From what I remember, it was a nice guitar, good tone, quality wood working. I kind of wish I had another acoustic.

Comment

I have a 12 string alvarez that i like very much.
            my main acoustic is a Guild Dce-1 which is AMAZING.
            Daddys junky music had a clearance sale for acoustics about a year and a half ago.
            i got the Alvarez 12 brand new (no case) for 179.00 !!!
            WELL worth that. Id own another one.
            Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

The store actually has a bunch of cheaper alvarez acoustics, with electronics and hardshell cases for like 200-250. I checked them out and they seemed ok, but I would rather spend the money and get something that i will enjoy for a long time. I guess my main concern is buying a guitar and then having all sorts of problems with it later on. Any comments on the durability of the Alvarezes? I'll probably end up buying it anyway...darn impulsive shopping disorder.

Comment

Durability?

i play everything from America to Nirvana on it an i have never had a problem.
                very good sounding guitar as well (im sure the 12 strings has something to do with that in all honesty. 12s rule!)
                i wouldnt be chucking it down the stairs tho.
                it seems pretty sturdy and the back of mine has a a few knots in the grain.....darker back than the front...very pretty...
                buy it dude....
                Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

In case the picture doesn't show up, here's the link. http://excoboard.com/forums/564/user/1365/4447.jpg

It's an Alvarez Yairi Koa Acoustic/Electric once owned by Dave Mustaine and used by Marty Friedman.
                  "POOP"

Comment

I've been thinking the same thing! I tried out a $500 Alvarez AJ60-SC (6 string Jumbo with cutaway, solid spruce top, electronics, and laminated maple back and sides) and an AJ60-SC12 (12 string version of the same guitar), and I was amazed. They sounded very good next to a very nice Taylor 412ce (all solid wood folk-bodied cutaway w/electronics, spruce top, gongkalo back & sides). I'd say about 90% as good as the Taylor (though it's true that the Taylor was a folk body, and the Alvarez was a Jumbo), for about 33% of the price. Plus,the action on BOTH Alvarez's was truly amazing - much better than the Taylor's. I had no idea a 12-string's action could be that great. Hell, I could've bought both the 6 and the 12-string Alvarez's, and still had hundreds of dollars left before reaching the Taylor.

I didn't buy anything, as I was really not planning to get a giant, blonde guitar, but here it is a week later, and I'm still thinking about it.

I may go for the $600 Alvarez PF90-SC instead, as it has a folk body with solid spruce top, solid rosewood back, & laminated rosewood sides. Admittedly, a Taylor would be better, but to get into a spruce/rosewood-bodied cutaway, you'd have to spend $2500 on a 714ce or 712ce!

Bottom line is, I completely agree with you that Alvarez is offering some great guitars for dirt cheap right now. They sound good, and the action is unbelievable.

Comment

I picked up a used Takamine G330S for around $200 (probably got ripped, but WTF) and the action was kinda high, but the tone was very nice. On a whim I sanded the nut and saddle down and now the action is as low and playable as a DK-2, and I've still got room to sand the saddle more [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comfy neck, as well.

But then, that's not an Alvarez - just a little FYI if you found a Taka that sounded as good as the Alvy, but for less money, and were concerned about the action [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver:
                        Taylor 412ce (all solid wood folk-bodied cutaway w/electronics, spruce top, gongkalo back & sides).
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Um, I meant "ovangkol." I think I was typing that in my sleep. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X