What's the diff....EBMM Axis & Peavey Wolfgang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the diff....EBMM Axis & Peavey Wolfgang

EBMM Axis Supersport and Peavey Wolfgang. They seem to be roughly the same guitar. Do they have the same neck profile? How do those DiMarzios in the EBMM sound compared to the Peaveys? I know that EBMMs have a pretty good reputation for build quality; are the Wolfies built as well?

I need to replace the Model 7 that was in my office, so I think it will be with one of these.

Re: What\'s the diff....EBMM Axis & Peavey Wolfgang

From what I've seen the PVs are not as well built. They are good, but you cant really compare build quality on a small shop like EBMM to a mass producer like PV............

Comment

I have tried a couple of peavy wolfgang and used to own a musicman axis.

I have to say that i prefer the musicman better. here is my comparison:

Neck- Axis wins because the neck feels super smooth, the fret work was perfect, maybe one of the best necks in the biz. The wolfgang's neck is pretty good also, the frets were excellent, but not everyone was perfext like the axis.

Body- Wolfgang wins barely because i prefer the feel of an archtop body. They both have body binding, 2 hums. The wolfgang has a tone knob while the axis does not.

Pickups- Axis wins because the pickups in this thing is one of the most musical sounding pickups i've heard. the notes sound articulate, and does well in both low gain and high gain situations. The wolfgang's seem a bit muddy to my ears.

Summary- Even though both guitars are very similar, I personally like the axis better because of the neck and pickups. The ultimate would be if the axis came with an archtop and a tone knob....

The neck on the axis is simply one of the best necks i've ever played and this puts the axis on top in my opinion.

Comment

I own multiple wolfies, and axis and a EBMM Van Halen sig model.

Neck -- out of the box I liked the EB better, but now that my wolfie neck has broke in some I would call them even.

Body -- I like the Wolfie body better. Arch tops are great and I just perfer the shape. Axis is pure simplicity at its best [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pick ups -- Tricky one here. I hated the Wolfie pick ups at first but I have learned what frequencies don't get along with them. They have a lot of bottom and perform very well on a good crunch sound. Require some more EQing on high gain stuff. Axis pickups are good all rounders but lack some of the output of the wolfies.

Summary -- I like them both, I find my self playing the wolfies more but who knows. If you get a wolfie get an archtop. I don't think you can wrong either way.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...=000181#000001

Comment

I was going to buy an Axis, bought a wolf instead, then bought two more and sold one (wolfs). My 2 cents:

The Axis seemed to have smaller frets. I didn't care too much for this. I preferred the wolf pickups over the ones in the axis. I *hate* the ernie ball axis headstock, and the peavey one looks better to me. I prefer the wolf body over the axis, even the 'flat top' special. I also like the wolf neck better than the axis.

Is the EB better made? probably! But I couldn't find any factory flaws in any of my peaveys. neck pockets were nice and tight, paint was good, electronics, etc... hell, one of my wolfs had THE best nut setup I've ever seen... it's the perfect height.

The only thing the EB has going for it in my opinion is resale value and snob appeal... so I'd never buy a peavey new. Buy it used after the value has dropped off a cliff, and enjoy a guitar that in my opinion outplays and performs most of the jacksons I've owned. *awaiting the flames*

Pete

Comment

I played both the Wolfie and the Axis today at a local GC and I liked both alot. They didn't have any great deals on either, so I passed.

I did, however, get a great deal on a new Petrucci. Man, is that guitar a player! The neck is awesome and the pickups scream. EBMM sure makes some nice production guitars. I guess that is why they are endorsed.

Comment

My 2 cents

Ernie Ball has kick A** customer service. Keep in mind that my Axis SS came from Cali and was shipped to Denver (DCGL) then to Nebraska. When I got it the neck pocket was pretty bad, the neck shrunk. I could get 2 credit cards in that thing.

I sent the guitar out and I talked to their warranty tech. Being lefty he said that they didn't have any lefty necks laying around that had birdseye as pretty as that one, so they made a new body to fit the neck. I thought that was pretty cool.

I also talked them into sending me T-shirts for my troubles. The guitar and shirts came in a couple weeks.

Its a great guitar. Sh*t happens but they made it right.

Comment

Working...
                X