Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p90 guitars

anyone play guitars with p90 pickups?

i'm thinking about getting an axis sport with mm90s.

would it sound good thru my rig (boss gt6 thru nomad 45)?

can a guitar w/ p90s be good as an everyday guitar since they don't seem too common?

Re: p90 guitars

P 90's are great at one sound but not a good all around pickup.

Comment

I'm giving serious thought into putting some humbucker-sized p90s into one of my guitars.. still haven't figured out whos version of humbucker-sized p90s I want to go with though. I just looooove that p90 roar.

Comment

P90s are cool as hell. Think the biggest strat you've ever heard, then double it. Much wider and thicker than a Fender-style single coil sound, more cutting and brash than a humbucker. I love 'em.
        I played a custom tele with Rio Grande Fat Bastards and it hung well with a Les Paul I had with P90s.

Comment

I should be getting a Gibson faded dual cutaway P90 guitar in the mail early this week... a report and sound clips will follow. Personally, I think a P90 guitar is very versatile, except for metal. They have a great 'snarl' to them distorted, and the clean sounds are better than humbuckers to my ear.

Pete

Comment

I've got a couple Music Man guitars with MM90 pickups in them including this awesome Axis Super Sport and they're excellent guitars... P90s aren't generally considered metal pickups, but thanks to Music Man's Silent Circuit technology, you can even drag some pretty cool high-gain tones from them... The Music Man MM90 pickups are not as hot as Gibson P90s, but they are capable of a huge variety of tones - anyone who thinks these guitars are one-trick ponies either hasn't played one or doesn't know what they're doing. The Axis Sport MM90 is a very versatile instrument, and an excellent complement to a dual humbucker axe - if you want to try out some single coil tones, but aren't willing to go all thin and reedy, try a P90 loaded guitar - they rule!

For an awesome review of the possibilities of an Axis Sport with MM90s, check out PurpleSport's post in this thread on the Ernie Ball Music Man forum.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ February 22, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Jimi D ]

Comment

I second Jimi D's sentiment. P90s are some of the finest sounding pups out there. They might be noisy, but they are definitely not one trick ponies. You can get some seriously heavy tones from them, as well as some seriously beautiful tones.

Comment

yeah i love musicman guitars....
                i had an axis string thru and i traded it for an amp.
                i miss my axis as my main axe and i'm looking to pickup another one when i get some more $$$.
                since i already have a dual hum guitar, i was thinking a p90 axis sport might increase my tonal palette.

Comment

Working...
                X