Got a new Spector....what a steal!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new Spector....what a steal!!!

Went in to GC a couple of weeks ago, and they were blowing out these really cool Spector basses. They had 3 left, and one really caught my eye. It was Amberburst (like orangeburst, really) and had a very nice quilted maple top on it. Wow, this thing played killer, and come to find out, even though it's an import it has the USA EMG-HZ pickups with active circuit. Even though I have plenty of guitars, I only own one bass, so I felt obligated to buy this one, especially after seeing the price tag. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] $318! It's called the "Q4," and I absolutely love it! Anybody else have or use these things?
    Dana <~~~
    '85 Rhoads Custom
    '86 SD Str*t
    '86 Model 4 (5)
    '87 Model 1
    '87 Model 6
    '88 Model 3DR
    '90 650 XL
    '94 KE-3
    '97 DR Amberburst
    '97 Dinky BOFlames
    '05 SD Copperhead

Re: Got a new Spector....what a steal!!!

I have an old Korean-made Spector N2B from the '80s. Sounds and plays very nice. I've tried other basses, but I keep coming back to it.

Comment

Wow, cool score!!! I've always loved the Spector shape. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, it's a cool-looking shape. Actually, I didn't know anything about them until after I bought it. Then I went online and read up on them. Apparently, the original Spector body style, which mine has, was designed by Ned Steinberger of Steinberger guitars. Pretty interesting info, I thought.
        Dana <~~~
        '85 Rhoads Custom
        '86 SD Str*t
        '86 Model 4 (5)
        '87 Model 1
        '87 Model 6
        '88 Model 3DR
        '90 650 XL
        '94 KE-3
        '97 DR Amberburst
        '97 Dinky BOFlames
        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

'85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Is the Q4 neck-through? I'd like to get a good bass one of these days.

My bud has a NS2A from the 80's, basically a made in Japan version of what pro-fusion's N2B, and that is what my benchmark of what a bass should be: it's comfortable to play as the body almost hugs your body, and it's not neck-heavy so the headstock doesn't do the plunge-to-the-floor-and-ruin-your-day-routine...I've seen way more neck/headstock-heavy basses than guitars. Oh, and it sounds awesome of course.

I like the bridge on the Spector too as it allows you to remove the strings directly off the bridge without needing to feed the strings through a small hole at the back of the bridge, like most basses. This makes it a lot easier to take on and off used sets of strings, as my friend used to rejuvenate old bass strings by boiling them in a water/vinegar solution. Hey, at $20 a set, bass strings aren't exactly cheap! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Well, mine is not neck-thru, but Spector does have some neck-thru imports. Looking at some pics of the original Spector being held by Stuart himself, I noticed that it was a bolt-on, too.

The neck on mine goes WAY into the body...maybe 6 inches or so, and it uses 5 bolts to hold it on there. It's also 24 frets. I really like the neck on it, because it's not too wide like on some basses I've played. (I'm a guitar player, so I'm used to smaller necks, of course) Anyway, all I can say is that it seems like a much more expensive instrument than what it really is. For $300, I wouldn't expect the quality to be anything like this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Dana <~~~
              '85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II:
                my friend used to rejuvenate old bass strings by boiling them in a water/vinegar solution.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">String douche! Man, I go into business doing that!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I got an 80's NS-2A made in Japan and the only difference between that and the USA models, the neck has dots ,the hardware is black and the pickups are are hi Z emg . My pickups were change to active EMG's when I got it.

Comment

Hey Dana!,
                    That was a great deal on that bass! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    I kinda wonder if the nearest GC near me might have any of those Spectors at that price!
                    I'll have to tell you about the Jap made flying Vee copy I bought at Daddy's Music the other day for $125. It's that cool white that's turned creme color! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Mark, very cool about the V!! Give me a call! I won the blueburst Dean Z on e-bay last week, and should be getting it next week.

I'll send you some pics of the Spector. Later man.
                      Dana <~~~
                      '85 Rhoads Custom
                      '86 SD Str*t
                      '86 Model 4 (5)
                      '87 Model 1
                      '87 Model 6
                      '88 Model 3DR
                      '90 650 XL
                      '94 KE-3
                      '97 DR Amberburst
                      '97 Dinky BOFlames
                      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by jtr654:
                        I got an 80's NS-2A made in Japan and the only difference between that and the USA models, the neck has dots ,the hardware is black and the pickups are are hi Z emg . My pickups were change to active EMG's when I got it.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, my Spector is Korean made, but it came stock with the USA EMG's and active circuit! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        Dana <~~~
                        '85 Rhoads Custom
                        '86 SD Str*t
                        '86 Model 4 (5)
                        '87 Model 1
                        '87 Model 6
                        '88 Model 3DR
                        '90 650 XL
                        '94 KE-3
                        '97 DR Amberburst
                        '97 Dinky BOFlames
                        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

String douche! Man, I go into business doing that!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

i went to gc today to check one out for myself.
                            they had a couple of q4's but they all seem to have some problems.

the 2 i tried out were very buzzy, when i asked a sales person, he said one is poorly setup and the other has a warped neck.

i tried a 5 string version out and it buzzed like crazy too.

i wish they had a decent one cause i would of picked it up...

Comment

My NS2B is similar to the NS2A, except that mine has a slightly different body shape, with a beveled, rather than round, front side. Also, the A's came with EMGs standard (IIRC), where mine has "Spector" passive pickups, which were also used in Kramer basses of the time--Kramer was making these import Spectors back then.

The NS2B plays great, though I wouldn't mind changing out the electronics to the hotter model Duncan Basslines or something like that, but that's not a cheap upgrade, and I'm not sure this bass is worth enough to warrant the upgrade.

I checked out a more recent used Czech-made Spector 5-string this weekend, but the store was asking something like $800 for it...a lot more than I can afford right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X