Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain Song acoustic guitars: Impressions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain Song acoustic guitars: Impressions?

Does anyone have any experience playing a Rain Song acoustic guitar? These are all graphite at the high end ($2000), or graphite top + wood neck, back & sides at the low end ($900). I'd like to know how these compare to an Ovation Adamas ($1500) or a Taylor, probably 300 series or so ($900 used). I'd like an acoustic with a cutaway and a low action (spoiled by my Jacksons) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] and preferably low maintenance (the high end Rain Song never needs neck adjustments with its graphite neck).

Or if you know of other great acoustics for less than $2000 - or better yet, less than $1000, I'd love to hear about 'em. I played some Taylor Big Baby guitars that played and sounded great for only $330 (even had ebony fretboards!), but they lacked a cutaway. Love the no neck heel construction though. Thanks! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Rain Song acoustic guitars: Impressions?

The Takamine Limited Edition guitars are sweet, sound awesome, and play really well.

There is a 2000 model on the bay now which I bet will go for under a grand....and it is a kick ass guitar [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Check em out [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I like them and I don't in the same breath. I've played them and compared them to several Taylors (including my 'someday' guitar, the 510CE), and they hold their own very well. Yet, there is something "warm" missing. Its real subtle, and it may just be me.
      If I was ready to buy my Taylor, I would still sit down again with the Rainsongs to make sure. They're that good. They can be had used for around a grand, too.

Comment

Get a cheaper Takamine with high action and cut the nut and saddle down [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        I did mine (non cutaway - G330S) and it plays *almost* as low as my Jacksons, though I do have room to cut them lower [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
          and a nice, tight bottom.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ummmm, is it me or did this just come out wrong [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I played a WS1000 and a CA guitar @ Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. IMO the Rainsong is an awesome instrument that easily competes with taylor. My local shop stocks an abundace of Taylor and Martin guitars, including Taylor's limited editions (John Denver, Hot Rod, Horses, etc.) and IMO the rainsong will hold its own with any Taylor.

Also, if you are wanting more of a warm "Martin" tone check out the CA guitars......they are a touch warmer than the Rainsongs.

Comment

I would also recommend CA Guitars. I own a Legacy and the sound is indeed far warmer than Rainsong.

Comment

While we're plugging non-wood acoustic guitars here, has anybody here tried a Canadian-made Garrison guitar?

http://www.garrisonguitars.com

The bracing, bridges, and neck joint are all one piece glass fibre. The exterior of the guitar is all wood.

I tried a few out. They play SOOOOO easy for an acoustic guitar, and damn, they were surprisingly loud and punchy and full of sustain like no other acoustic that I've tried.

I've tried a few Taylors too... they didn't impress me as much as I thought they would, tone-wise. But, I was really looking for a 12-string Taylor, but the store didn't have any.

Comment

I think the all-graphite RainSongs are the best sounding acoustic guitar I've heard for under $5000. However, I like the sound of graphite, and my major issue with a lot of wood acoustics is the bottom end "wooliness".

They blow the Adamas away, IMO, though. Very, very nice, bell-like top end and a nice, tight bottom.

Mike
                  Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

i like the rainsong acoustic that i tried out at a local guitar center. the guitar just has great projection and each note was rich and well defined. the price is a bit ridiculous but it's incredible playing and sounding.

Comment

I haven't tried the rain song, but I recently tried a Takamine Limited edition damn nice guitar. I have had my Ovation for over 18 years. The Ovations have a certain tone to them that you either love or you hate. I'm starting to lean more towards all wood guitars myself. One of my friends has a couple of taylors he was with me when i tried the takamine he to is considering a change its that nice. In the end it comes down to what you hear and feel out of each model, good luck.

Comment

LPC -

We all like a nice, tight bottom, don't we? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Thanks for the input. It's very helpful, and I appreciate it. The dealers in my town don't carry Rain Song or really anything other than "starter" acoustics.

Anyone have an opinion on the lower end Rain Song (the graphite top, mahogany neck/back/sides one), in case I can't swing the all-graphite one? I see that Musician's Friend carries both, so I could conceivably buy one sight unseen (not the best scenario, I know) and then be able to return it if it was no good.

Comment

Another option would be the Adamas SMT or CVT - probably the SMT, since that is described as being more responsive for fingerpicking and solo playing, while the CVT is apparently more focused on cutting through a mix, and I would normally be playing acoustic in a relatively quiet setting.

I've always found Ovations to be very tough and well made. Unfortunately, the only Ovations I can try in my town are bottom-of-the-line, super shallow bowl Korean models which seem to be more focused on beautiful finishes (and they are beautiful, I'll give 'em that) than sound. So, anyone have an opinion RE: Adamas, or know where I could look for one, or know of an online review of one? I would think that if I could find one, I could get a used one for cheap, since they are out of vogue now. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X