Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures Don't Do This One Justice (Lots of Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures Don't Do This One Justice (Lots of Pics)

Absolutely gorgeous GMW Empire Standard #023: Swamp Ash Body, Maple Top, Birdseye Neck & Fingerboard, Abalone Binding on Head & Body, Abalone Inlays, Scalloped Heel, Duncan Classic Stacks - Neck & Middle, Duncan JB - Bridge.

Lee's work is top notch. This has to be up there with the Suhrs, Andersons, McNaughts & McInturffs.

Re: Pictures Don\'t Do This One Justice (Lots of Pics)

Wow, that thing is *awesome*! Congrats! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Dear god I love birdseye...*drool*

That thing is awesome.

Comment

awesome [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous, especially the inlay. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Awesome. How does it feel to have a hand carved neck. And how looooow is the action???

Comment

The neck really does have a nice feel to it, even though I prefer oiled necks. The profile is a shallow C. The action is low but not ultra low like some Les Pauls that I have seen. The setup was perfect for me. It was just plug and play right out of the case.

I am playing this one out of my Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and it sounds so sweet!

Comment

That is stunning. I've been staring at those Empires for a couple of years now.
                Very nice, Fritz.

Comment

Fritz, that is friggin beautiful. Literally jaw dropping! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy:
                    Awesome. How does it feel to have a hand carved neck. And how looooow is the action???
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just want to put this out there, so that there isn't misinformation spread about GMW's work. Re "hand carved neck," I asked Lee about their carving methods and was told that Empire necks, along with the Brian May bodies and necks (created in conjunction with RS Guitars), are created on CNC machines. The GMW necks and bodies, along with Empire bodies, are created on overhead PIN routers using original Charvel templates.

I'd hate for someone to think that GMW mislead them when they discovered that their neck wasn't carved entirely by hand. They certainly are finished by hand after rough carving.

As far as I know, the only place that is doing necks completely carved by hand is Neal Moser and his Moser Custom Shop...or some very small, obscure independent old-world styled luthier in a small village somewhere.

Comment

Hand-carved and hand-shaped are two different things. CNCs can cut the rough shape quickly, but can't do final shaping. You have to do the final shaping by hand, and there's nothing wrong with rough-cutting the neck with a machine.
                      If you start with a raw 4x4 and carve a neck out by hand (bandsaw or hammer/chisel/rasp), all you're adding is construction time compared to a computer-driven cutting machine.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Neal told me the Empires have hand carved necks. But if that's what Lee told you then I stand corrected.

Comment

[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X