Scalloped neck opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalloped neck opinions.

Hey I was in a local elecronics/music store today and they had a used scalloped Warmoth Strat neck for 125 dollars.Thinking about buying it for my Stat.What are your opinions on scalloped necks?Harder to play ,easier,etc.Thanks.

Re: Scalloped neck opinions.

Harder to play if you're used to putting a lot of tension on the string when you play, easier to play when you get used to playing it.

Comment

I had one on a Telly (bizzare I know!) and loved it. I'm thinking of getting my DK-1 neck scalloped.

Comment

I've been through a bunch of scalloped guitars at this point. My Grosh strat is perfectly scalloped. The Warmoth scallops combined with those huge frets is just too deep for my tastes. I'm selling my Tele with Warmoth scalloped neck because of this (and that CS tele I just got). I had a newer Yngwie signature Fender and it too had the really deep scallops and I didn't like it. The older Yngwie's with the 2 post trems are shallower and more comfortable IMO. The Japanese made Blackmore has the best scalloped neck - it is graduated so it gets deeper the higher you go. I also have a guitar with a Kramer neck that has 13-22 scalloped and that's really nice. I'll never do the deep scallops again but I really like the shallow ones like my Grosh or Blackmore.

Here is a picture of my Grosh:
        http://www.groshguitars.com/images/albu/2rcscal.jpg

Here is a picture of my Tele w/Warmoth neck:
        http://www.hackolutions.com/ebay6/cc17.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell in these pictures but there is a big difference between these two.

[ February 11, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: hippietim ]
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

if you use it alot it will make you become more accurate,because if you have a heavy hand and depending on how deep the scallop is you will find holding an even pressure like on chords hard at first.and left hand slop will show up in your scale type runs forcing a more controled posture.
          i love scalloped necks [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          i have an ibanez paul gilbert model model that i scalloped
          and a dinky rev. (sorry for the bad pic) [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] that i scalloped also i love them both i wish i had the balls to scallop my high end jacksons , i'd do it but im afraid of poping the sharkfins [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] if it wasn't for that i would do it in a heartbeat!
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I had a strat with a warmoth scalloped neck. Very easy to play once you learn to fret the strings lightly. You can use lighter strings than you are used to. Notes and chords can end up sharp if you apply to much pressure. You can see why speed pickers and those who love sweep appregios use these necks. Less pressure in fretting frees up your picking hand to move quicker. It's also kinda wierd not feeling the board beneath your fingers too.

Comment

i'd love to see a full pic of the whole scalloped pgm

Comment

I recently put a USA YJM neck on my American Strat and it took some time but now I like it. It is great for practice and warming up. Then I go to my other guitars with non scalloped necks and I really notice a difference in my sweeping and fast runs as well as my left hand being more accurate. Might not be my #1 choice for playing gigs with but it is when I am looking for improvement in my left hand technique.

Comment

I'll probably end up getting it.I can always put my old neck back on if I don't like it.It does have deep scallops and big frets like someone mentioned.

Comment

Mosh, I'm curious as to how you scalloped your frets? I've heard a bazillion ways to do it, and have done it a few different ways, but am always willing to hear another.

Comment

I have done a few scallop jobs and I always did it with a set of round files. I used a milling machine once with ball nose end mills & that came out the best. It's all in the set up when using a machine. They are the most consistent and I think that's how the factory scallop jobs are done.

I quit playing them because they are harder to sell than a neck that is non scalloped. If you have really tall frets installed, it will give a simmilar feel and you can always put it back if you want to.

Comment

I have scalloped 80-90 necks thru the years. I use a Dremel tool. I cable tie the frets to protect them and I start with a course grit to take the board down. I switch to fine and finish it up. A neck takes 2 days to do total including refinishing. Unbound rosewood and maple dot necks are the easiest. 22 Frets are easier too along with the neck being preferably a bolt on.

Comment

orig posted by jgcable
                          I have scalloped 80-90 necks thru the years. I use a Dremel tool. I cable tie the frets to protect them and I start with a course grit to take the board down. I switch to fine and finish it up. A neck takes 2 days to do total including refinishing. Unbound rosewood and maple dot necks are the easiest. 22 Frets are easier too along with the neck being preferably a bolt on.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">damn dude that is about exactly how i do it, if cable tie is a zip tie that is.....cool [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

dryice5150
                            JCF Member
                            Member # 2454

posted 02-12-2004 02:29 PM
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            i'd love to see a full pic of the whole scalloped pgm
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> and there you have it [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X