I Just Bought My Least Expensive Guitar Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Just Bought My Least Expensive Guitar Ever

I've currently been downsizing my electric gear, and contemplated going acoustic for a while (hope to buy a house soon). But not having an electric is driving me nuts.

Ok, now don't laugh but I went out looking for a cheap beater and ended up with the OLP MM4 (Asian version of the Ernie Ball Silhouette). You know what? It plays and sounds pretty damn good. Plus, it came in this box package with the Guitar Port. Since I also no longer have an amp, I can plug this thing into my PC, crank my Altec Lansings and get tons of cool sounds. For the price of $199 (no tax here), it solved my guitar and amp problem at the same time.

Sometimes, less is more in certain situations.

Re: I Just Bought My Least Expensive Guitar Ever

Cool! They just released an OLP version of the John Petrucci model which seems pretty nice, also. John mentioned on his site that he was pretty happy about it. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that Petrucci model online. It will probably be a hot seller and may even get a premium for and OLP model.

What really got me was the price. I was thinking about the Guitar Port already as a cheap and fun way to play without owning an amp for the time being. Those go for $100+ alone, so I couldn't pass the package deal up.

Comment

Made in China? We'll see how long it lasts...
        [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A guy that works for me has the same package and I was blown away by the quality of the guitar for the price. I agree that OLP's will not remain solid and playable for twenty years, but for the money those are very playable instruments that should last a few years. If you have pets that run around the house or a young child, one of those would be a great instrument to leave sitting out on a stand without causing yourself too much worry.

Comment

I bought the Guitar Port pack and with an MM4 and was pretty impressed with the guitar for the money... However, I'm a huge EB/MM fan - I have eight of their guitars - and I can catagorically state that the only relationship that guitar has with a Silhouette is the headstock shape - even the bodies are slightly larger than a real Ernie Ball... They don't sound like Silhouettes, of course (Basswood vs. Alder, Chinese pups, cheapie vintage trem), but biggest thing for me was the neck - the OLP neck is NOTHING like my Ernie Ball guitars, not in shape, radius, fret size, nothing!! so I sold it off for more than I paid for it and put the money toward another Silhouette [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I have to admit though, for a lousy C-note or less, an OLP MM4 is a scary good deal - it's a damned sight better built than the guitar I started out on...

Comment

I've got an OLP Music Man copy bass. That thing is surprisingly good. The only catch is the electronics suck ass. I bought a Duncan Basslines pickup for it and now it sounds very good. I've been contemplating getting the active preamp rig for it too.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Ron: Jackson was at one time contemplating moving the cheapass guitar production from India to China. We had a couple of prototypes for a while. These were prototypes, the first ones rolled out of the factory, and they were far superior to the Indian built guitars. They had their share of problems, so it's not like these were perfect in any way but I'd rather have one of those than an Indian guitar. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, so far so good. I'll probably have it for only a year or so max, but may keep it around as a project beater. As a total newbie to guitar electronics, I've been meaning to tinker with shielding, soldering different pickups, pots, etc. I could always part it out (OLP MM4 + Guitar Port) for eBay.

This is the first Asian guitar I've owned since my Dad-bought Squier Bullet in 1985 (that one probably cost more too). I have to say though that the quality of these are amazing for the price (like Agile and Nelsonic). It will be even better once I set it up right (higher gauge strings, more tremolo springs, maybe that graphtech nut I have lying around).

Comment

I don't think the OLP Petrucci model will be in stores until June or so, even though it already debuted at NAMM. Someone on the Petrucci board tried one at NAMM and said it was surprisingly close to the EB/MM version. Apparently, Petrucci consulted on the OLP version, so I doubt it's a total piece of crap. The main question I have is whether it will stay in tune at all. The EBMM Petrucci is uncanny the way it stays in tune with no locking nut. But that was a custom trem design, and I strongly doubt that the OLP will have one of that quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd:
                      I've currently been downsizing my electric gear, and contemplated going acoustic for a while (hope to buy a house soon). But not having an electric is driving me nuts.

Ok, now don't laugh but I went out looking for a cheap beater and ended up with the OLP MM4 (Asian version of the Ernie Ball Silhouette). You know what? It plays and sounds pretty damn good. Plus, it came in this box package with the Guitar Port. Since I also no longer have an amp, I can plug this thing into my PC, crank my Altec Lansings and get tons of cool sounds. For the price of $199 (no tax here), it solved my guitar and amp problem at the same time.

Sometimes, less is more in certain situations.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah we use to sell em , to big for me but for the money they aren't that bad . //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                        The EBMM Petrucci is uncanny the way it stays in tune with no locking nut. But that was a custom trem design, and I strongly doubt that the OLP will have one of that quality.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe the EBMM model also has locking Schaller tuners, so you really don't need a locking nut.

Comment

Toejam, do you officially prefer EBs to Carvins these days? I haven't owned either but prefer the EB necks myself (I did spend a few hours in a Carvin store last year). I may upgrade to the real Sillouette down the road.

Comment

Actually, the only EB I've ever played was an Axis, and I really liked that guitar a lot. I really love the look of just about all the EB models and have heard nothing but great things about them and their craftsmanship. I definitely need to get out and play some of the other models. Though, I would also probably buy one sight unseen the same as I would a Carvin. Every time I see the John Petrucci or Steve Morse models in MF's catalog or online, I'm so tempted to order one but don't know if I can justify spending that much with all the other guitars I've got at the moment! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Plus, I was never that crazy about basswood bodies, but I could always make an exception. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I had three Carvins... a DC400 that I traded for a 12-string DC120, but I'll probably get rid of that soon as I'm not that attached to it and haven't really gotten used to the extra strings. The SC90 was the first one I got, and that just rules and I'll never part with it!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I really dig Carvin neck-thrus except for one thing - the neck. Having smaller hands and learning on strat and G&L style necks (1 11/16th, 1 5/8th" nuts), anything else just doesn't feel right. That limits me to the Bolt models - unless Carvin decides to add more neck profiles (which I hope they do).

I don't mind basswood except for the ding factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X