Hamer Standard & Vector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer Standard & Vector

Does anyone own one or know anything about them.

OPINIONS???
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Hamer Standard & Vector

A Band mate has a Vector, it seems really nice to me although I’ve only played it a few times. I would say that it’s on par with Jackson imports in the same price range but it is made in Korea, don’t know if that really matters. The pickups in it were changed to real Duncans so I can’t make any comments the stock Duncan Designed pickups.

Comment

the USA models are great, tho some had a really funny looking 3on a side headstock . at least i think it didnt look right on a V or explorer. the standard was also called a blitz. older models also used a sustain block fixed bridge, i prefer the TOMs. USA Hamers are great guitars.

Comment

I agree. The USA models are best. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

U.S.A models are out of the question right now. I've been looking at a few different options.

Dean 79 ML in silverburst
          This one's brand new and is gorgeous.

Dean 79 ML in white
          Used, but in near-mint condition and a great deal at $250 so far with no bids.

Dean 79 Z in braziliaburst
          Also new, but to be honest, the Hamer Standard is almost identical for less money.

Hamer Standard in honeyburst.
          Brand new.

Hamer Vector
          I've seen a few, some with the checkmark inlays that look pretty cool.

I'm really leaning towards the silverburst ML, because I love the finish. I just wish it wasn't brand new, so I could save some money on it. I'm assuming it is a rare finish for these because I've never seen one before.

Comment

from that list I'd totally go for the Dean 79 Z in braziliaburst. They look better than the Hamer import Standard and the Dean zebra pickups are much better than the duncan designeds on the hamer in my opinion. The headstock on the import Hamer standards is kinda ugly imo - the Dean looks just like a vintage Dean. And Dean fixed the protruding neck joints found on the previous Z Select series. And Braziliaburst is an awesome, awesome finish.. it has it all over the cherryburst in my opinion.

Or even better, hold out for a Czech Dean (Korina) Z.. they can be had for about 500$ used and they're incredible guitars. I've tried a V and was blown away.

If looks are not primordial then I'd grab a used USA Dean Z or Hamer Blitz (80's "shredder" explorer with floyd, kahler or sustain block tremolo) for about the same money. You won't get pretty tops and transparent finishes but you'll get great players.

Here are my two USA Standards both of which cost me well under a grand (each).

[ February 06, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Jerry From Ghana ]

Comment

Jerry, those are some nice geetars!! I'm not fond of pickguards however, and I prefer a bound body with some kind of burst finish to the plain old korina look. Black is nice though!

I'm not overly concerned about the pickups either, as I plan on yanking the stock bridge pickup and replacing it with a SH-13 anyway.

I gotta be honest here, the silverburst ML is giving me major wood right now. It also has block inlays versus dots, which is a big bonus for me.

Comment

jerry that black one is sweet ass sweet

Comment

Jesus Jerry, is there a rad Explorer that you DON'T own? Nice stuff!!

Comment

Yep - he doesn't have this one:

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I owned a Hamer Standard import a few years back, before they made the headstock enormous. Great guitar for the price. The finish was great, the neck joint was very comfortable, and all of the workmanship was flawless. Alas, it was my second attempt at using an Explorer-style guitar (previously owned an Epiphone Explorer) and I just couldn't make the switch after playing super-Strats for so long. My brother bought it from me, and now he doesn't play it either since getting a neck-thru Charvel. He'd probably be willing to part with it for a reasonable price, but has no case for it.
                      sigpic

Comment

zeegler - good luck in your quest. silverburst ml, setneck with blocks? sounds very intriguing.

here's my departed dean z select. Cost me $305 on ebay with a total of two bids.

Originally posted by Newc:
                        Yep - he doesn't have this one:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newc, you bastard. B/W graphics and explorers are my two weaknesses. I woke up many a night in a puddle of sweat asking myself should I? The only thing that kept me from grabbing it was the fact that the bull's eye is zakk wylde's trademark, and I'm not big on copying other dudes.

feel the sweat break on my brow
                        is it me or is it shadows that are
                        dancing on the walls
                        is this a dream or is it now
                        is this a vision or normality i see
                        before my eyes

i wonder why i wonder how
                        that it seems the powers getting stronger
                        every day
                        i feel a strength an inner fire
                        but i'm scared i won't be able to control it anymore

Newc you bastard

Comment

Re: Hamer Standard &amp; Vector

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X