Ordered up another Warmoth today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered up another Warmoth today

In the end it will cost as much as a used LP (around $1100-$1200 total), but I really like the idea of custom ordering all the shit just the way I want it.

I got a flat top soloist body with a tummy cut, but really flat on top with no forearm cut like strats have, and it has the angled neck pocket for better upper fret access. The top is a slab of some wicked looking spalted maple (up charge for hand selected good stuff) on a mahogany body with clear gloss finish and black binding. It's also a string-thru hardtail and is rear routed with typical strat knob config but with only 2 knobs instead of 3 (I got rid of the one right next to the pickup).

The neck is a Birdseye maple on Birdseye maple, 24.75 scale strat head with 22 medium jumbo frets and no fret markers (side markers only).

Its getting all black hardware, Sperzels, and EMG 85/60.

Here's a pic of one of their P-basses with the black binding and spalted maple top, but without any finish. The other picture is just a partial of a finished one; the clear coat makes it a bit darker. I think its going to turn out pretty cool. Even the salesman was excited (he's not on commission either, LOL). It should take about 6 weeks or so, so I'll post pics of it later down the road.

Re: Ordered up another Warmoth today

Congrats [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Though I have to say I'm not a fan of Spalted Maple, but then again, if you were doing a graphic of an old map or something, you could weave the design around the Spalting so it looks really old and peeling (like an old map, old document, or for you Scholarly types, and old scroll) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, it's going to take a while to build. In the meantime, here's a Kisekae of what I have in mind. I was thinking of doing Koa too, but flamed Koa is a real expensive upgrade. The spalt was already $95 extra over regular laminates, and I'm tired of the same old flamed and quilted maple. I have a couple of those already.

Comment

I think she'll look mighty sweet man.

Comment

does warmoth assemble & sell complete guitars or are you just ordering all these parts from them. anyway sounds sweet tho im not a fan of hardtail bridges.

Comment

Warmoth just does the parts. But they do cut and install the nut now. They didn't used to do that and it was the hardest part of putting one together. After they send me the parts it can be put together pretty quick with a screw driver and soldering iron. I specifically wanted a string-thru hardtail because I don't make use of a trem and it gets in the way of changing tunings.

Comment

I just got a firebird body with a spalted maple top (cap not veneer) and am going thru finishing ideas. How are you going to finish yours?

Chuck
              "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

best just oiling or clearcoating spalted maple; it doesn't take finishes very well.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm clear coating mine. And it's just under 1/4 inch cap.

Comment

Working...
                  X