Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epiphone Gothic Explorer: Suggested new pickup???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Gothic Explorer: Suggested new pickup???

I've had an epiphone gothic explorer for about a year now, but i want to get a new pickup for the brige position.

I play mostly metal and i basically just want to get a better sounding p/u. The one in there sounds ok but i want a better one.

I have a couple of jacksons one of which has EMG 81's(which sound amazing!!!) but i won't have enough to put two active p/u's into this for a good while.

I had a look at the Seymour Duncan Invader and the Gibson 500T, but i've heard mixed opinions.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers, Graeme Slicer.

Re: Epiphone Gothic Explorer: Suggested new pickup???

Look into the Seymour Duncan Distortion, Dimarzio X2N, Seymour Duncan JB and Seymour Duncan Invader. I heard APC pickups are good, but they are hard to get hold of.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Invader or X2N. The Gibson 500T is a monster of a pickup too. Lawrence XL500 would be a good choice too. If it were me I would go with a Gibson 500T.
      A 498T would work too.

Comment

Cheers for the info guys.

I'll let you's know my choice as soon as i get the replacement.

Btw, the Jacksons i have are the DX10D(black) and the PS4 (red).

The DX10D is the one with the EMG 81s.

The REALLY cool part is that i swapped the hardware, so now the Dx10D has black hardware and the PS4 has the chrome stuff. It really makes the flamed top stand out...They both look so fukn cool!

Once again: Cheers Fellas!!

Comment

I have Emg's in mine. 81 bridge and an 85 neck and this thing is blistering!

Comment

I have a Duncan Distortion in the bridge of my Dean '79"Z"..

It's an Explorer shape made with the same material as yours I think. (MAH)

It sounds good to me, warmer than the Jacksons with a little more bottom end. ( 2 Jacksons have Distortions as well)

Comment

I'd go with a Gib 500T.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'll put it this way...........Seymour Duncan Distortion (SH-6 for hardtail and TB-6 for Floyd) pickups are in all my guitars. I have tried several, Bill Lawrence L500XL, Seymour Duncan JB, DiMarzio Super Distortion, DiMarzio Evolution, etc and hands down the Seymour Duncan is the closest you get to EMG 81 tone and sound without going active in my book. I've had the Duncan Distortion that is in my Jackson DK2 now in maple, alder, basswood and mahogony bodies and it has out performed everything else. I can get my sound pretty close to the mark no matter who I'm trying to emulate from Metallica to Static X. The only other bridge humbucker I would use besides the Seymour Duncan Distortion would be the DiMarzio Evolution. It's like a Seymour Duncan Distortion and JB mixed. Very versitile. Hands down and without a doubt I would whole heartedly encourage you to go with A Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion.

Comment

the gibson [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Y'know.. I have to change my mind as well.

I'm not really sure of the model, but the Gibson pup in my Explorer does kick ass.

Comment

Cheers for continuing with ideas/opinions.

I've also had a wee look at harmony-central.com for reviews. I'd heard a lot about Kent Armstrong p/u's also. I haven't seen those things getting a bad review yet!! Also because they're so cheap, i could also afford to get the stock p/u's in my PS4 replaced.....hhhmmmmmmm.......This could be interesting lol.

We'll see... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X