DTM David Thomas McNaught guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTM David Thomas McNaught guitars

I was at a guitar shop this weekend and saw a few David Thomas McNaught guitars. WOW were they incredible looking!! Now I play mostly metal and usually prefer the pointy guitars, but these DTMs really looked like a high quality instrument. The necks were incredible and the action was some of the lowest I have seen.

The prices were ridiculous, but the place I saw them at is usually WAAAAAYYY over priced.

Anyone ever play one of these or have any comments about them? Is there such a thing as a $1,200 DTM or are they all $2k plus? The one I liked at this place was $5k!!!!! NOT!

Re: DTM David Thomas McNaught guitars

A friend of mine has had one for about three years. He paid a fortune. They are all a fortune. It is a great guitar. Really it's the neck. I wouldn't put out that kind of money for it. He rarely plays it and would never play it out. Unless you're a collector, I don't see the point in owning a guitar that you're not going to really play. You're really paying for alot of cosmetic and detail work. What's it better than?? That's too subjective to say.

Comment

DTM = Ed Roman......... AVOID!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm with greg on this one. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

"David Thomas McNaught" - I guess there's a lot of "David McNaught"s out there building guitars, and he has to add the "Thomas" to be recognized in the crowd? [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

sorry double posted

Comment

My friend (Mcnaught owner) bought it from a dealer in Florida. Roman is simply one dealer for McNaught. I would also suggest staying away from Ed Roman as will every other guitar enthusiast I've heard about.

Comment

yup, roman is just a dealer of mcnaughts.
                dtm's are truly awesome guitars.

i played a used low end model at a local guitar shop a while ago and they were selling for $950 if i remember correctly. the quality and sound is on par if not better than a prs.

as for the high price, i think it's justified with how resonant and complex the guitar sounds. the tones are so lush, that an average guitar can't produce these sounds. you really need a nice amp to let the great sound come thru.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The ones I have seen on the internet are waaaayyy out of my price range. I inquired on a USED low numbered one and they wanted $5,000!!!!! It better write songs itself for that kind of money

Oh well I will keep looking maybe I can come across a nice one for a grand or so.

Comment

i just realized i put $950 and not $1950.
                    sorry for the error.

Comment

In the interest of fairness, I want to point out that McNaught is no longer associated with Ed Roman, unless something dramatic has happened recently that I'm unaware of. McNaught indeed began as one of Roman's brands, but he broke away from ER a while back due to all of the unsavory and illicit business practices of ER that we're all familiar with. ER now disses McNaught in the same way he dogs out whomever no longer distributes their product through him, ie PRS. They are no longer associated with one another.

Comment

try mcinturff guitars, they come highly recommended on the prs forum and the craftsmanship looks every bit as good as a mcnaught. mcinturff has cheaper models than mcnaughts which you can get used for under $1000.

Comment

I fully concur with btx109. Please don't equate DTM with Roman. DTM broke away from Roman a while back due to basically Roman being himself. My bud keeps in email contact with McNaught, which is pretty cool since he hasn't bought a guitar from him (...well, yet). From what my friend says, he's a good guy to talk to and potentially deal with, and his work is specactular...the only pitfall is his stuff is expensive!
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by data187:
                            try mcinturff guitars, they come highly recommended on the prs forum and the craftsmanship looks every bit as good as a mcnaught. mcinturff has cheaper models than mcnaughts which you can get used for under $1000.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I love my TCM's very much. Great gutiars, although they are not for everyone.

Comment

The McNaught SK1 can be had for around $2300, brand new. They're not all super-expensive. It's just that the dealers like to order the most decked-out and exotic ones, which, of course, command the highest prices. DTM probably has the best necks I've ever played, and his setups are AMAZING. If you like the way shred guitars play, you'll like DTM.

Terry McInturff is my favorite builder, and while his quality is top notch, his guitars are more vintage-based than DTMs. You should give him a look, though, because you may like them. I'd suggest DTM before Terry on this particular forum given the more modern tones and necks found on most of Dave's guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X