Rare Fender Strat you guys may appreciate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Fender Strat you guys may appreciate

Didn't sell you say? Gee, I wonder why... Lessee, why buy an original modded '80s strat for $400 at the local pawnshop when you can pick up a Fender Custom Shop version for $2500, complete with the wear and sweat stains and burn marks?!?

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Rare Fender Strat you guys may appreciate

True, you could hope and pray you find one that was prefessionally modded, but by the same token, why bother with any Floyd Rose Strat style guitar for more than $300 regardless of brand?

Comment

Wow, that's one I don't think I've seen before. Pretty cool. Though, it could use an extra fret and lose the big headstock! I never cared for the big headstocks.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
        Wow, that's one I don't think I've seen before. Pretty cool. Though, it could use an extra fret and lose the big headstock! I never cared for the big headstocks.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You basically described this, bud. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's currently available.

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=1106500

Comment

LOL Oh yeah! Forgot about that one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I like it!

Comment

I like it too.

Comment

I like it except for the 21 frets. I just can't stand less than 22 frets, and strongly prefer 24. Luckily that keeps me from getting sucked into the San Dimas mystique that I couldn't afford anyway, so I never went for the bank robber career I'd need to afford 'em!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Rare Fender Strat you guys may appreciate

I just scanned this ad for some people at the FDP. Back in '98 there was a special relic Floyd Rose model Stratocaster made by the Custom Shop that was intended to look like a modified vintage guitar. It went over like a fart in church, so it was quickly ended. From what I have been told there are only around a dozen of these floating around out there.

Comment

very cool would like an extra fret & the small headstock but cool. plus the custom shop build quality is much better than the standard production ones IMO. im not a fan of relics but after playin a few they are built very very well.

Comment

I guess what I don't like about it, and I never really saw the sense in it was the "relicing". You pay up the wazoo to have someone beat the crap out of your guitar before you get it. What's the fun in that?
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                        I like it!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of course you do. It was probably relic'd in the rock pile where you took the pics of your other guitars! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree that it is kind of silly, but it goes on in other mediums as well. Look at the new furniture built to look vintage with distressed finishes and paintings aged to look centuries old. The patina of an aged finish is as cool to guys like me as a graphic finish is to some people. I have been aging finishes for a couple of years before Fender started doing it on a restoration scale. I would age refins on old Fenders so it would look stock. However, I have never seen artificial aging that looks just like what actual time does to a finish. I have seen it come close, but never exact.

Many players like the feel of the worn necks, so they like the relic guitars for the visual patina and the feel of the worn wood (which has an almost oiled feel). It does take alot of work and it isn't a deal where they just beat up a guitar and send it away. It is very detailed and lots of handwork goes into the aging of the finish.

Comment

YOu know those ads you see that say "work at home, earn 1000 bucks a week!" ? If you call them, it is the Fender company and they will pay you to put out cigarettes and spill beer on strat bodies....they charge that much so they can pay us to be slobs.... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X