Jay Turser Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Turser Les Paul

Has anyone ever played one of these? They have a set neck and look like a cheap version of the real thing with crappy electronics but other than that, how do they feel?

Brad

Re: Jay Turser Les Paul

I don't own one.. I tried a few in the stores.

The 2 I tried had a fairly slim neck, very, very light... they seemed so-so... I've seen worse.

I just picked up a Non-US Market Dillion 59 LP copy. (It has the "correct LP body, cavity plates and lower curve)

If you are in the US, you need to go through ebay, as the Dillions sold in the US have a rounded-non correct lower curve

In Canada, they are 98% dead ringers.. you'd have to be a real Gibson fan and give it a close once over to tell, as far as body shape goes.

A great guitar.. finish is absolutely superb., nice clean fret ends, medium jumbo frets.

Binding on the body/neck is clean.

Pickups, pots and hardware are on the cheap side, although on par with Epiphone. Tuners seem to work well.

Neck profile for this one is 59 round style.. not the 60's LP slim taper neck.

It is more substantial than the Turser, but still lighter than a real LP

It's a nice player, at least the equal in feel to the Epi ones I've played, built better than most of them.

Made in Korea, Mahogany body (Not MDF)Maple set neck.

I think Dillion and Tokai have the nicest "accurate" LP copies.

Agile are great players too, but they are less accurate

I like it just fine.

Comment

Stay away from Jay Turser.. They are the bottom of the barrel.

rich

Comment

i've heard many good things about agile guitars.
        they are raving about them at the prs forum.
        they have a jazz box that looks very nice too!!!

Comment

The 59 copy dillon does that have the P-90s or humbuckers? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Richard, The 59 comes with metal cover PAF style pups.

Newc, I saw one of those PRS copies at a small shop, near the Canada/US border.

It looked really nice, a trans-green. I don't know if it was photo or real, but the more expensive models have maple caps, not veneer.

I know some people think companies like Dillion put out crap, and I'm sure they do at times

However, I've got in my hands a decent guitar, that looks alot more expensive than it is.

With a little bit of dremel work on the headstock and a Gibson logo, you'd never tell it was a copy from the pics (at least I can't), and it would take a close up inspection to spot in person.

I'm happy with it. I'll post pics later tonight.

Comment

Here's the deal from one of the dealers here in "Canuckistan" about Dillion, Tokai et all.

For some reason, Gibson, Fender, PRS don't seem to try too hard to enforce copyright infringment outside of the US, even here in Canada.

There are at least 2 dealers within a reasonable distance from me (Toronto) that have these guitars on a regular basis.

The higher end Tokais are made in Japan, the mid end Tokais and Dillion are made in Korea, low end Dillions are made in Vietnam.

For the most part, Dillion and Tokai are made in the same plant with 2 or 3 piece mahogany or alder or Korina bodies, maple necks. There are a few bottom of the barrel models made out of plywood.

Guitars made for outside of the US market have "correct" model specific features, IE dimensions, shape ect. Headstock shapes seem to be either exact, or easily modified.

These companies are pretty much rip-off companies, selling mostly to asian markets.

They are among the most accurate rip-offs that I've seen.

The Tokais and Dillions I've played with have been at least equal to Epiphone.

Comment

Canuckistan [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Is it illegal to import a Tokai into the U.S.?

Comment

I wouldn't think so.. they're on Ebay.

Comment

What about the older Dillion PRS copies (with the "talking to" heel joint, where PRS didn't quite sue them, but they gave them a "talking to" about it - got that straight from an admin on a musician's board who speaks with Paul R Smith from time to time).

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I do know where a Dillon PRS copy is, correct headstock shape, very nice real maple top.What would be a fair price to pay?I'll have to try to find out origin of mfg.Japan would be preferred but Korea would be ok.What would have been the original price for these? Its been hanging a long time I'll bet I can get it cheap.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard:
                          I do know where a Dillon PRS copy is, correct headstock shape, very nice real maple top.What would be a fair price to pay?I'll have to try to find out origin of mfg.Japan would be preferred but Korea would be ok.What would have been the original price for these? Its been hanging a long time I'll bet I can get it cheap.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the thing to remember with the Dillion PRS copies is that they are not a Mahogany body. They are a Maple body. Two totally different ends of the tone spectrum.
                          If your going for it for looks, thats fine.
                          But if your going for the PRS tone. The Dillion is not it.
                          Your better off looking at the Tokai versions instead.
                          4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

The wood thing is with any copy. A Les Paul copy isnt gonna be or sound exactly like a real Les Paul, but for the price, its gonna get you a decent guitar with classic looks. Same thing with the PRS copies. Only 12 year olds believe they are equal or better to the real thing......And I dont think anyone here has said that the PRS copy is comparable in tone to the real deal...........

Comment

Originally posted by Brad:
                              Has anyone ever played one of these? They have a set neck and look like a cheap version of the real thing with crappy electronics but other than that, how do they feel?

Brad
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How do they feel? How do they feel? Like giving a wild bull an enema.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X