Is Korea comming of age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Korea comming of age?

This post is sort of inspired by my "Discovery" of Peavey's new V-Type.

When I saw the specs of this guitar, the pictures,.. I was really impressed. When I found out it was Korean, my first reaction was "ugh"

Then I started to think of the Korean Guitars I own, and WHY I own them. A Dean '79 series Z, Washburn Culprit, Kramer FR404S/D.

I was initialy attracted to these guitars by price/looks and good feedback from users. Since owning them, setting them up properly, sometimes replacing hardware or pups, I have ended up with fine playing guitars, guitars that compete well with my most expensive.

At the same time, I've picked up many lifeless, un-inspiring LTDs, Sammick and other Korean brands that truely re-enforce the negative image Korean guitars have.

When I look at Peavey's re-designed V-Type.. I want to hope for the best, construction that appears on the surface to belong on even US guitars.. full binding, abalone, tastefull shape.

This is the "Fanciest" Korean guitar I've ever seen. Is this the future?

Is the Korean guitar comming into it's own? Have lessons been learned, can Korea eventually gain the reputation of at least Japan?

Or are my experiences isolated, I enjoy 3 fine -playing, good looking quality imports from Korea.. Did I luck out? Will I find more????

More importantly, if Peavey can do this, will Jackson? will I see abalone inlays? or some other natural shell?, Why can't the SL3 be built like a
    V-type?

These questions I ponder as I wait for my new V-type.

Re: Is Korea comming of age?

I think you are right: Korea is getting better and better and in some cases approaching Japan. I say this due to three recent acquisitions: Peavey V-type NTB, PRS Tremonti SE, Schecter Jerry Horton 'papa roach' signature. Quality and construction, set-up, and playability is first rate on these. The Tremonti SE is 1st class, definitely a case where the reviews of it on harmony-central are absolutely correct.

Comment

You've got to remember that EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, is capable of producing excellent guitars. Up until recently there hasn't been a call for Korean guitars to be worth a damn. The whole reason for producing guitars overseas was only to lower the price, quality be damned. A few companies are apparently trying to get some quality into their Korean built lines, and it's nice to see. It's not as if Korean dudes can't build guitars, but they're not usually contracted for quality.

Comment

I don't know if Korea in general is getting as good as Japan, but there are starting to be better and better models coming out of there. For example, the Korean made G&L guitars are very well made and sell for a pretty good price as well. Add these to the other brands/models mentioned and I think there is a clear trend.

Comment

coming

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Over here, in the UK, we have a brand called "Maverick" guitars. I don't think these are available in the US. They're Korean-made predominantly Nu-metal/Shred guitars, quite reasonably priced, and seem to be very well put-together. A bit of an acquired taste styling-wise however.

Comment

Link to Maverick Site!

Here!

Comment

That fretboard is wild [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

I have no problem where a guitar is made but I do prefer to BUY AMERICAN!! One of my favorite guitars is my Schecter A-7. Set up to rock in the USA (made in Korea I guess). It is an outstanding guitar. Actually, Schecters entire import Diamond series is a fantastic value. The imports are certainly getting very close to the USA models.

Comment

Korea is getting good. I wanted a gibson-style flying V, but didn't want to drop a lot of cash...and didn't want someone else's chipped piece of crap. My local Jackson dealer also carries Hamer. I have a couple of Hamer USA's, but the USA Vector they had was too expensive. So I bought the import Vector. It is fantastic. Plus (as a valued customer) they sold it to me at their cost. Swapped the pickups and now it is one of my main stage guitars. Korea has really improved in the last 5 years or so. I can't wait to see where they are in another 5. My Korean Vector easily matches the quality of my Jap strat (and that's saying a lot because Jap strats were often better than their US counterparts, hence the MIM strats). Granted, the Vector is NO WHERE near the quality of my USA Hamer's of my USA Jackson's...but it was 1/4th the price.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I know someone who owns a Korean Hamer Vector, I've only played it a few times but it does play very nice. The quality seems to be on par with most Japanese imports, the finish is actually pretty impressive. As much as I hate ESP/LTD some of the higher end Korean LTDs I've played were actually not that bad either.

Comment

Korea has come along way, especially in the recent year, but they are far away from being regarded as highly as Japan. Just because a small proportion of the thousands of guitars produced each day in Korea are somewhat descent, the majority are still the $99 KMart specials, whereas in Japan, they focus on high quality production...........

Comment

they have come a long way, ide like to see what they would be like if they used higher quality woods.
                          some of us may remember the ibanez's & other Japanese made guitars from the mid/late 70's. tho most were copies of fenders & gibsons the quality was great. they IMO outplay 90% of the imports out there now. i know my friends George Benson can hang with just about any jazz box gibson ever made, some of the 70's so call lawsuit model ibanez's ive owned & played have been great quality & better than most NEW non custom shop gibbys. I think Korea is now in that era, just now they compare to Jap guitars not USAs.
                          but its also different because these korean companies arent in competion with USA/Japanese companies they build thier lower lines which to me means they will never be allowed to better than the parent companies "HIGH END" instruments. kinda like the model5/6 IMO should have never been made, its too good & may have taken away from USA soloists sales.

Comment

I honestly think some people are a tad biased toward Korean made guitars due to the fact they were hired to make the lower end Jacksons and a few other brands. I have seen alot of good high quality guitars come out of Korea for a while now.

Matt

Comment

I've owned three Korean guitars in the fairly recent past: an Epiphone Explorer, Hamer Standard, and Dean EVO Phantom. Let me see if I can sum it up...

Epiphone Explorer: Got it at GC on clearance, and everything about it was cheap. Not sure of the body wood, but I'm guessing it was basswood due to the dings in it. The "licensed Floyd" was made of something closer to tin foil than actual solid metal, the pickups were muddy and microphonic (Mexican radio!) and the action could be set between VERY HIGH and STUPID HIGH. I traded it toward a Hamer USA Californian, for more than I paid for it. Awful guitar.

Hamer Standard: This is Hamer's imported Explorer-style guitar, but the version from several years ago -- slightly smaller headstock, maple body with natural finish, no binding. I couldn't get used to the balance, but the only bad thing about that guitar was the Duncan Designed pickups. Other than a loose pickup switch and a nick in the pickguard, it was flawless. I sold it because I couldn't get used to the balance, but a great player for $500.

Dean EVO Phantom: Les who? I would've put this up against any Gibson LP, period. Best neck joint I've ever found on a Paul copy, nicest rosewood board I've seen on ANY guitar (no inlays, just a beautiful THICK slab of rosewood), mahogany body and neck, and stock Dean "rail" humbuckers that will rival any name-brand pickup I've ever heard. I was starting to lose interest in TOM bridges, or I'd still have it. Blindfolded, I would've guessed it to be a $2000 Gibson. I regret selling it, even though I didn't play it much compared to my Jacksons and Hamers.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X