Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone else LOVE Fenders?

Originally posted by hippietim:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Black Mask:
    Another thought: It's shocking to me how many people make things like headstocks and fretboard inlays a priority. I can't imagine disowning a guitar because of those things. Body shape is one thing... but headstock shape? I guess whatever flips your switch. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2384

I rest my case [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That thing's sweet, whatever it is.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim:
      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Black Mask:
      Another thought: It's shocking to me how many people make things like headstocks and fretboard inlays a priority. I can't imagine disowning a guitar because of those things. Body shape is one thing... but headstock shape? I guess whatever flips your switch. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2384

I rest my case [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That thing's sweet, whatever it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolver:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Evolver:
        Still though...I'd like to have a Jazzmaster with a stop tailpiece, just because I never use a trem anymore.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I'm quoting and responding to myself...

While looking around on the net, I just noticed that the Jazzmaster trem has a "lock" button. That would be enough for me.
        The bridge saddles look similar to what is on a Tele. I wonder if those mounting posts are spaced the same as a Gibson ABR, because I'd probably replace it with one. [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The post spacing is similar to a stock bridge, but an ABR is made using a different radius. Unless you get drastically tall saddles and compensate for the difference in the saddle grooves, or have the neck refretted with a flatter matching to ABR radius. Otherwise the guitar will be a ***** to play as the action will not be uniform across the board.

Another point to the Jazzmaster bridge is the bridge itself is not really 'mounted' to the body. The bridge has to legs built into it that drop down into two holes. The bridge then rocks back and forth and floats with the string movement when you use the tremolo system. Changing to an ABR would require installing bushings in the body to hold the new bridge.

The 'lock' button on the Jazzmaster trem is a joke. It is not a real lock but a shim that gets crammed under the string plate. The initial idea of the lock was to tune your guitar using the lock and adjusting the tension spring so the string plate would just come off of the lock. Then while you are playing if a string breaks you put the lock on and it shimmed the string plate back where it was, putting all of your strings back in tune. It does not actually lock movement of the tailpiece, it just 'locks' in a postion of tailpiece.

It sounds like the best Jazzmaster for you is a parts built one from Warmoth. Then you can delete the whole bridge assembly and use a tune-o-matic and ABR setup and have the neck radius right from the start. However, the guitar will lose some of its Jazzmaster tone as a big part of that guitars sound is in the trem/bridge assembly and pickups. Change either or both and you lose alot of the guitars unqiue sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolver:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Evolver:
          Still though...I'd like to have a Jazzmaster with a stop tailpiece, just because I never use a trem anymore.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I'm quoting and responding to myself...

While looking around on the net, I just noticed that the Jazzmaster trem has a "lock" button. That would be enough for me.
          The bridge saddles look similar to what is on a Tele. I wonder if those mounting posts are spaced the same as a Gibson ABR, because I'd probably replace it with one. [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The post spacing is similar to a stock bridge, but an ABR is made using a different radius. Unless you get drastically tall saddles and compensate for the difference in the saddle grooves, or have the neck refretted with a flatter matching to ABR radius. Otherwise the guitar will be a ***** to play as the action will not be uniform across the board.

Another point to the Jazzmaster bridge is the bridge itself is not really 'mounted' to the body. The bridge has to legs built into it that drop down into two holes. The bridge then rocks back and forth and floats with the string movement when you use the tremolo system. Changing to an ABR would require installing bushings in the body to hold the new bridge.

The 'lock' button on the Jazzmaster trem is a joke. It is not a real lock but a shim that gets crammed under the string plate. The initial idea of the lock was to tune your guitar using the lock and adjusting the tension spring so the string plate would just come off of the lock. Then while you are playing if a string breaks you put the lock on and it shimmed the string plate back where it was, putting all of your strings back in tune. It does not actually lock movement of the tailpiece, it just 'locks' in a postion of tailpiece.

It sounds like the best Jazzmaster for you is a parts built one from Warmoth. Then you can delete the whole bridge assembly and use a tune-o-matic and ABR setup and have the neck radius right from the start. However, the guitar will lose some of its Jazzmaster tone as a big part of that guitars sound is in the trem/bridge assembly and pickups. Change either or both and you lose alot of the guitars unqiue sound.

Comment

It sounds like the best Jazzmaster for you is a parts built one from Warmoth.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Personally I prefer USA Custom Guitars. They all used to work at Warmoth. The folks at USACG are simply amazing. They do a Jazzmaster body: http://www.usacustomguitars.com/usacg/jazzymaster.html
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

It sounds like the best Jazzmaster for you is a parts built one from Warmoth.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Personally I prefer USA Custom Guitars. They all used to work at Warmoth. The folks at USACG are simply amazing. They do a Jazzmaster body: http://www.usacustomguitars.com/usacg/jazzymaster.html
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I know their history. They do good work. I don't personally feel they are better than Warmoth, but are definately of equal quality.

Comment

I know their history. They do good work. I don't personally feel they are better than Warmoth, but are definately of equal quality.

Comment

*Cartman voice*
                    I hate you, Jim. I hate you so very, very much.
                    */Cartman voice*

Dakota red would be awesome, as would Shoreline Gold. I ran across this one on eBay the other day:

http://pix.auctiva.com/pix/11/41/09/DSC06191.JPG

That one's a '63, currently up to $2400 and the reserve is not met yet. *cringe* I'm going to kill those Sonic Youth bastards. J. Mascis, too. It's all THEIR fault I can't have one cheap. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

*Cartman voice*
                      I hate you, Jim. I hate you so very, very much.
                      */Cartman voice*

Dakota red would be awesome, as would Shoreline Gold. I ran across this one on eBay the other day:

http://pix.auctiva.com/pix/11/41/09/DSC06191.JPG

That one's a '63, currently up to $2400 and the reserve is not met yet. *cringe* I'm going to kill those Sonic Youth bastards. J. Mascis, too. It's all THEIR fault I can't have one cheap. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don`t know what neck profile is on the Fender Tom Delonge strat, but I love the 1 Hum hardtail design and the neck profile. Played like butter and screamed with that Duncan Invader. I would like to have one [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I don`t know what neck profile is on the Fender Tom Delonge strat, but I love the 1 Hum hardtail design and the neck profile. Played like butter and screamed with that Duncan Invader. I would like to have one [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I love Fender strats, always will. I like 'em with 3 single coils only, no HB's allowed. For clean playing, there's nothing else. Even though my SL1 has two single coils, it's hopeless, esp. for recording. The strat blows it away for tone and sparkle. I think the problem is the maple center block on the Jackson, the single coils don't respond to it that well.

Comment

I love Fender strats, always will. I like 'em with 3 single coils only, no HB's allowed. For clean playing, there's nothing else. Even though my SL1 has two single coils, it's hopeless, esp. for recording. The strat blows it away for tone and sparkle. I think the problem is the maple center block on the Jackson, the single coils don't respond to it that well.

Comment

I don't like Vintage Trems, I dont like 3/4 of my guitar body being pick guard, I don't like singe coils, I don't like the way the neck feels, I don't the volume knob right on the high E string, I don't like dot inalys, and I don't like 21 fret necks. Other than that I guess they are ok....

Matt [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X