Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Ed Roman buys Baker guitars ( well at least the name)!?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Ed Roman buys Baker guitars ( well at least the name)!?!?!?!

Exactly. G&L comes to mind

OT: Ed Roman buys Baker guitars ( well at least the name)!?!?!?!

Not really Jackson news but I thought it would be seen here more.....Never played a Baker but I think they have a Prs like following...and the one time I called Ed Roman.....well you know..

"Hello one and all,

Well its been a very interesting roller coaster and I have learned far more than I ever expected. Baker Guitars as we once knew it is now a closed book and Gil and I have landed on our feet. Yes Baker Guitars was involved in bankruptcy and my apoligies go out to anyone that may have gotten mixed up into the whole ordeal. The best thing of it all is that Gil and I are at Ernie Ball, we are very happy with our position and we will have a lot to do with the instruments we build here. I will be directly involved with new designs and have a hand in everything we do here. EB has a great team of people and I have known many of them for a long time. There is no other company that I would rather be with and thats why I am here today.

Yes the rumors are true, Ed Roman has bought the Baker name while Baker Guitars went through a liguidation of its assets. Rest assured I will not be involved with this new version of the Baker name. I wish the best of luck to whoever has my name. To all past customers I thank you for your long time support.

Yes we did want to purchase the name but it didnt make good business sence with the bidding war that began. Remember a Baker isnt a Baker unless its got Gene Baker and Gil Vasquez attached to it. We will continue building some righteous fiddles and we will always maintain the quality level we have come to live by.

There are many chapters to ones life and I will not dwell on any negative issues for they only slow you down. Those who know me can be assured I will do everything I can do in my lifetime to continue building excellentt guitars where ever I am and continue pushing the envelope on new ideas for the future and evolution of the electric guitar as we know it.

Anyone that needs to contact me directly please see the www.meangene.org website for my direct contact info.

For any people who purchased Bakers at the liquidation, if you want them completed by Gil and I just let me know and we can take care of you so you can get the final quality that was known to accompany every Baker once built.

Stay tuned for news and details as it develops. I think I'll have to write a book one day for the all the various things I have done, headaches, hassles, triumphs, etc... is becoming quite a biography.

Peace to you all and all my best to my fellow brethren.

Gene Baker"

[ September 16, 2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: lafours ]

Comment

Re: OT: Ed Roman buys Baker guitars ( well at least the name)!?!?!?!

Talk about going from sugar to sh1t! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Apologies to Doc Dryer for using one of his phrases without consent.
      Baker guitars are serious instuments...i wonder how they will sound with the evil and mysterious "black back" pickups? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

yeah but the new Musicman "bakers" will probobly be great.

[ September 16, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: lafours ]

Comment

Now I understand what John Suhr of Suhr Guitars was talking about couple months ago.
          He was talking about Gil working for Suhr but didn't come to an agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell:
            I read elsewhere that Ed Roman only acted as an agent for the person who actually bought the Baker name.

Still, with the ER factor, no one will feel safe buying any new Bakers that he produces. It should be pretty easy to tell (using serial numbers) which Bakers were pre-liquidation.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, if the guy makes counterfeits, why would he hesitate to reuse old serial #s
            in order to get more $ for the ones he makes? I'm sure he'll do all he can to confuse the issue.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

That's a good point. I guess it will make buying a used Baker a risky proposition. If you are a fan of those guitars, right now would be a good time to grab one. Of course, reselling it might be problematic.

There was a huge discussion about this on another forum that explained a lot about who bought what, etc. I'm IP banned over there so I am unable to post a link.

Comment

I think Ed Roman thought he was buying a bakery.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy:
                  I think Ed Roman thought he was buying a bakery.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yeahh well FAT RED ED is a masterbaker [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

As for Bakers,they look real nice guitars

A great jazz/fusion/blues dude i know has a couple of them..not bad at all..not my cup of tea as i love the (shred)90's/80's guitars
                    Still great looking and great sounding

here is his site

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/

Comment

I read elsewhere that Ed Roman only acted as an agent for the person who actually bought the Baker name.

Still, with the ER factor, no one will feel safe buying any new Bakers that he produces. It should be pretty easy to tell (using serial numbers) which Bakers were pre-liquidation.

Comment

lerx i agree 100% especially since i know he does serial# some of his fakes. if you call in the # it matches the guitar & the entire time the original is in the back or at ed house. he may be an ass & a scumbag but he not dumb, when it comes to making $ off people who just dont know

[ September 18, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: j2379 ]

Comment

Working...
                        X