Advice please ... Dean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please ... Dean

I've found a Dean V'79 on e-bay that I fell in love with. And the price seems right as well. Now I've always liked Deans but I've never played one of the new '79 series. They are Korea-built guitars, aren't they?

I have played the original USA series back in the day but they are notoriously hard to find here in the Netherlands.

So how do these play, compared to the USA models. Do they hold their own quality-wise?

Please advise me, I'm very tempted to snap it up!

[ August 20, 2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Ironhead_metal ]

Re: Advice please ... Dean

Ironhead,...Yes, the Dean`79 series are made in Korea. They are not bad guitars for the buck but I've had problems w/ the frets on mine and have had to have them dressed. I also had a grafite top nut installed. It plays fantastic now!
    If you get one you might want to consider some other mods like changing the pickups. I put a JB/`59N combo in mine and it sounds killer!
    The`79 series unfortunatly don't come even close to an original 1979 Dean!
    I own several original USA made Deans and their quality and craftmanship is amazing!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Still, if you can't find a lot of old USA Deans, the 79s are not a bad option for the buck. And they look really really badaass. I say go for it, brutha.

Comment

I've got a Korean '79 series Z (White w black binding)

I love it!! Awesome player, best neck/body joint I've ever seen outside of a Jackson.

I did replace the nut with a bone one.

I have no problems with the fretwork, just fantastic.

I like the stock pups as well.

I tried a JB out of my DK-1 but it dind't work for me.

I can't comment on how it compares to the original, as I don't have one, but it certainly compares well with my 85 Gibson Explorer.

It's one of the few Korean guitars that can stand up to high quality imports in my opinion.

[ August 21, 2003, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Thanks bros! Good advice. Last question: would you say $275 is a good price? To me it seems real cheap, but as I said I'm no expert on these types of guitars.

Thanks again!

Comment

I'd say that's a great price! Scoop it up before somebody else realizes what a deal it is! Hell, scoop it up before I DO!

Just kidding...let us know how it works out!

Comment

Yes...$275 is a great price for a '79 Series anything. Go for it!!
              Dana <~~~
              '85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead