Tips for modding a guitar of mine ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for modding a guitar of mine ?

I'm thinking about modding my first guitar which have been collecting dust for years, and i wanna make it playable again.

It looks like this, only mine has chrome hardware and all white pickups.

I got a Jackson humbucker left over after switching to a JB. And i want to put the that hum in this guitar + make it look alot better than it does now

Got any Suggestions ?

I've been thinking about black pickguard, one hum, and black doom metal nobs. But I'm not sure.

Re: Tips for modding a guitar of mine ?

Here's what I wanna do to my Fender strat:

1. reradius fretboard then refret with Jumbo frets.

2. replace pups with Duncans(Custom in bridge, JB in neck)

Now I just gotta learn how to refret, reradius, and rout [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's your guitar man, do what you will! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Sell it - it's not worth the effort.

Brett

Comment

first thing you need to do is get some sperezel locking tuners......and maybe a new nut

after that, id take the logo off, put in a floyd and a humbucker and relic the **** out of it

Comment

Dude....It is your axe, do as you will, but seriously....if you polish a turd, it is still essentially a turd.

I realize that it is a part of your past, and may hold sentimental value to you, but don't sink money into that...it will never satisfy you.

I would keep it as is, and put the money that you would dump into it to buy another axe that you like.....

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Comment

All the guys above hit the nail on the head dude......but, I think I know what you are trying to do. It's in the spirit of Eddy Van Halen. He got a guitar and chopped it out until it was what he was looking for. Kinda like bikers do to their Harely's. If you want ideas.........inexpensive ideas...........buy a one humbucker pickguard in black, add ONE volume knob and that's it for now. Beings that it's a Cort it can be your beater. If you buy one pickguard, decent humbucker (high output preferably as they tend to make a piece of crap sound better IMHO), one 500K volume pot and one black dome knob. You're looking at $125 at the most depending on where you go. As far as pickups go I'd stick a Seymour Duncan Distortion in there. Latter on you could add some black Sperzel Locking tuners and lube the nut or buy a new one and replace any left over chrome hardware with black. That would turn out to be pretty sharp. I have done the same to a few friends guitars back in my axe tinkering days. I converted a MIM Fender Standard Strat to one humbucker, one volume and all black hardware. I loved it. Let us know and post a pic. I don't care if it's a Cort or not. Yes....I would probably end up sending it through a wall.

Comment

or leave it alone, chances are 20 years from now you would want it not mangled. I wish i had my first guitar.

Dave

Comment

Get some new pickguards and try out different pickup and electronics configurations (you may have to rout underneath to accommodate humbuckers). A strat-style, top-rout is the best teaching tool to learn about the innards of your guitar.
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Well I'm not gonna spend alot of money on this guitar. But I have a pickup leftover and i wanna put it in there

Right now it's, 1 hum, 1 vol I'm going with.
                  Just not sure which color the pickguard should be yet, [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] maybe a darker grey so there is some variation.

And I'm gonna keep this guitar I just don't want it to be totally useless

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Working...
                  X