Gibson SG Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson SG Standard

What do you metalheads think of the SG Standards? I have an opportunity at a trans. cherry one, very good deal, cant play it first though...

Re: Gibson SG Standard

You'd better play one first. SG's are love em or hate em guitars, I think. They hang funny.

Comment

My first loves were SG's (super goods).. a '73 and a '64. They have a mean tone but as mentioned by Chuck, they're headstock heavy and take some getting used to standing up. The neck shaping went thru some changes over the years also.
      I found the neck on a '64 to be wider and a thinner profile than a 70's model. The '73 model was comfy, strings seemed close together at the nut than the '64...fast necks on both.
      I've played other mid 70's SG's and they felt bulky.

[ August 19, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

newer SGs are inconsistent unless its a $1000+ model. the older ones Rock if you like SGs. they're also the thinnest guitars youll ever play. & for some reason they sound pretty killer with EMGs & im not an EMG fan.

Comment

Just get a leather strap that is rough on the bottom where it lays on your shoulder and you'll never notice that its top heavy - unless you're playing naked.

Comment

SG's rock. I've probably had 30 in my lifetime. That's no [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] either. Right now I have an '87 black standard and a white '61 Reissue. Personally, I don't think SG's hang funny at all. The strapnut is located where it is on a Rhoads or Kelly,in line with the neck. It's always been my opinion that SG's are some of the most balanced guitars ever. The ESP/LTD Viper is kinda top-heavy, especially the models that had the strapnut on the back of the top horn (like BC Rich Mockingbirds,Warlocks,etc.). But they've changed it to the tip of the horn which made it more tolerable, but still not as balanced as an actual Gibson SG. I recently sold a '67 on Evilbay and sold a '69 to my brother. The neck heels changed in '68 so I had one of each heel, the '69 being the strongest and most comfortable. Just my 2 cents worth! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ August 20, 2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: circle of the tyrants ]

Comment

Erock,
              Should've mentioned this in the last post, but if you're thinking of trading the Saturn graphic for an SG Standard, I wouldn't recommend it. Great players or not, SG's are in fact dime-a-dozen guitars for the most part. The Rhoads would be more collectible in the future. 2 more cents worth!

Comment

I used to play one out back in the...ahem..80s, and loved it. Recently I went out to get another one (new) and they were poor. I went to 3 different shops and all 5 I tried were crapola. Bad nuts, bad fret work, bad inlays. Gibson QC should have been shot for letting those out of the 'shop'. I would not buy one without playing first - unless the deal was sooo good, that even if there were issues I could have them fixed without too much of an additional investment. Just my 2c.

Comment

Thanks for the advise, I think Ill go out looking for one to play before I actually do this. And yeah, circle, I wouldnt trade my Rhoads for anything I didnt know was badass for sure. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the SG Stds from the late '70s-early '80s with the deeper horns and the more solid-seeming neck joint. The necks and frets on Gibsons of that era were great, also. Because I had a Tony Iommi fixation as a kid, I used to think that SGs were the coolest guitars on earth. But I've never managed to own a good one, though I've playing a few really good ones. I really like that model from a few years back with the single pickup, ebony board, and triangular inlays. That thing was very metal for a Gibson.

Comment

Working...
                    X