Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 80's Kramer

Guys,
    how are the 80's USA made Kramer like(comparing to Jackson)? They were said to be one of the best made guitar in that era.

Thanx
    Cham

[ July 11, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Chameleonfong ]

Re: Early 80\'s Kramer

I have an 86 and an 88 Kramer Baretta.

As well as a new MusicYo Baretta
    I like them both as well as I like my Jacksons, they're very comparable to the Model Series Charvels, but with better hardware.

The guitars themselves were made in Japan, then assembled in NJ. All "American" series Pacers and Barettas came with real floyds, schaller tuners, a duncan pup.. usually a JB.

They cost more than Import Charvels at the time.

Expect to pay between $280 - 350 for a standard 86-89 Baretta. Kline Graphic versions can run and extra $150 to $300 depending on graphic.

1984-1985 Barettas can go for around $350 - $500.. a 1984 Non-angled Banana headstock will go for $1000.00 easy, and maple boards version will cost a bit more than rosewood usually.

Other things like matching headstock color will make a Kramer more desirable ect.

Another option is to look at the Focus series, they were made entirely in Japan and were a direct competitor to Charvel.

They can be had for dirt cheap these days, play the same as the "American Series" Barettas and Pacers.. and even come with an original Floyd.

If you want one, go for it, I promise you will not be dissappointed.

If you really want more info, check out VintageKramer

vist the Kramer forum as well

Comment

If you want one, buy an 84-85 hockystick headstock guitar. Those were the last of the true USA made Kramer's. "E" series serial numbered plates were the beginning of ESP/Japan parts. The 84-85 Baretta's had unfinished necks and felt a lot like a USA Charvel at the time. The Charvels had better build and playability, the Kramers had better pickups and trem.

Comment

just to piggy-back, how much would a USA Stagemaster Deluxe in pretty damn mint condition go for? i found one locally, but the price seems high to me.

Garry [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrplyr666:
          just to piggy-back, how much would a USA Stagemaster Deluxe in pretty damn mint condition go for? i found one locally, but the price seems high to me.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A Stagemaster in near mint cond will cost you quite a bit of dough.. it's the luxo-Kramer.

$600 - $800 I think would be average, it depends how badly you want one.

Comment

That sounds kind of high to me. Stagemasters were 90% made in Japan by ESP. The only thing done to them in the USA was to have the hardware and electronics installed.

Comment

There's a really sweet one on Ebay that went for like 500.00!

Comment

sounds like the 700 dollar price on it is high then. oh well, maybe some other time. thanks for the inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
                  That sounds kind of high to me. Stagemasters were 90% made in Japan by ESP. The only thing done to them in the USA was to have the hardware and electronics installed.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It can be high.

However I've seen at least 3 go by in the last month or so on the Kramer forum that were above $600.00.. (These were first rate condition, mind you)

People will pay what they will pay.. I've yet to see a 9 or better condition Stagemaster Deluxe sell for $500.00, at least not by someone who is a Kramer fan anyway.

[ July 13, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

After having the Pro-axe for three days, i came out with a verdict;

1.Comparing to a Japan Made Jackson the hardware on the Pro-Axe wins 100%

2.The craftmanship on the Pro-Axe is pretty slip-short comparing to a Japan made Jackson(i think even Korean made are better)

3. Playerability wise, maybe because of the shorter scale length, it makes it so nice to play!

Cham

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleonfong:
                      After having the Pro-axe for three days, i came out with a verdict;

2.The craftmanship on the Pro-Axe is pretty slip-short comparing to a Japan made Jackson(i think even Korean made are better)

Cham
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, what was it about the construction you found poor?? I thought the one I had was almost flawless.

Was it the paint? I'm curious.

Comment

Yup! the paint job on the headstock and the pickup carvity are pretty unprofessionally done. Maybe the luthier or the machine were under-paid during that era! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cham

[ July 13, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Chameleonfong ]

Comment

Please be advised that all the comparisons are on bolt-on only. No neck-thru is involved in this tragic! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ! Because i still prefer my SL1 to the Kramer!hehehe [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Cham [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X