Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new 12-string acoustic... SOUND CLIPS INSIDE!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new 12-string acoustic... SOUND CLIPS INSIDE!!!!!

I had wanted a 12-string acoustic for some time now, mostly drooling over the Carvin C980-12 jumbo or the Taylor 855ce jumbo, but those can wait.

Today I purchased a used 1994 Takamine Tradition Series EF385C12 (12-string dreadnought cutaway electro-acoustic with Takamine N4B preamp I believe). A few dings here and there. Got any suggestions on how to raise them? There's the gloss coat (or satin, I don't know) over the wood, so how would I go about doing this? Anyways, here are the specs.

-Shape: Dreadnought 12-string with cutaway
    -Top: Spruce (how can I tell if it's laminated or solid?)
    -Back/sides: Mahogany
    -Neck: Mahogany
    -Fretboard: Rosewood
    -Inlays: Plastic dots
    -Preamp: Takamine N4B
    -Tuners: Takamine chrome

Here's a picture, as pictures are ALWAYS mandatory on the JCF:

So, I recorded some quick sound clips just to compare it to my other acoustic guitar with almost the same specs, except it's a 6-string with an unknown type of fretboard.

Both guitars are in Eb and playing the same chord progression, "Watching Over Me" by Iced Earth.

Demo with 6-string

Demo with 12-string

Today I also bought a Planet Waves instrument cable just to see what the hype was about. Let's see what a high quality cable can do for my tone for the plugged-in 12-string.

Demo with my usual Peavey 10ft cable

Demo with my new Planet Waves 10ft cable

I need opinions on whatever you feel like commenting on. Thanks!

Re: My new 12-string acoustic... SOUND CLIPS INSIDE!!!!!

Very nice 12 string NOTP. I can definately tell there is a little mor clarity with the planet waves cable. nicep playing

Comment

Thanks! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm going to wait for more people to comment about the cable comparisons before I pass my own opinions on it. I don't want to bias anyone's thoughts, since I need some honest, uninfluenced responses. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Today I also tried out many ultra-high-end acoustic guitars from Taylor, Simon & Patrick, and Larivee. My pick would have to be the Larivee limited edition Hawaiian Koa guitar, followed by the tobacco-burst Taylor 615ce jumbo. But none of these high-end guitars today were 12-strings, so I was happy with the Takamine!

Comment

The cable difference is much more than I'd have expected. I wonder what the difference between cables would be in a high-gain sound comparison...

Comment

Yeah, thanks for doing the clips. I've heard of the Planet Waves cables, but I know absolutely jack about cables other than very basic information (thicker, lower gauge is better etc). The ear-test really makes the difference obvious hehehe...

Some people argue whether different woods or construction type make a difference at all, especially in high-gain situations. Some people say that EMG pickups will make any guitar sound exactly like any other guitar with EMGs in a high-gain situation. If it comes obvious that something as assumedly "small" a component to sound as a guitar cable can make a significant difference in a high-gain situation, other, more major factors like the ones I mentioned above should be no-brainers, yaknow?

Stu

Comment

Maybe I'll record some electric guitar distortion clips next weekend using just a guitar, my amp, and the two different cables. I'll use the same settings, same mic placement, same bitrate, etc. for each cable. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X