Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Comments on Washburn N4

Gil,

I am pretty sure that is is swamp ash. When I installed the pickups you could see the original wood color in the cavity. It is also very light, probably the lightest guitar I have owned. I have seen a few of the poduck and they are usually lighter in color. Mine is like a blood clot red, almost black.

[ March 04, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Keith Gutierrez ]
    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Sweet!! That appears to be swamp ash. I've always loved the look of those guitars. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My Carvin SC90 is swamp ash, probably the best sounding guitar I have. I'd try the DiMarzio Fred or Norton,maybe even a regular Super Distortion in it if you don't like the Super 3. Just my opinion.

Gil, Padauk (pronounced paduke) is toxic? That kind of wood is usually not finished at all. It's an oily wood sort of like rosewood, has tone similar to maple, that is an orange color that turns more brown over time with use. I've never heard anything about that particular wood being toxic.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Now that ya mention it. that finish does look a little darker than the paduak. It's more of a redwood stain color as oposed to the ox blood color of yours. sweet looking guitar though.
        Joe Yeah I've heard it from several sources. They do put an oil on the wood and thats what rubs off and stains cloths. I actually stained one of mine with one we had at MGR. Washburn stopped making the Paduak not only because of its being an endangered wood presently. But also because it was deemed toxic. Not fatel but it stains the skin and canrelease the oils into your skin which may cause an irritation. Like an alergic reaction. I've heard this from several sources and they are pretty accurate. It's not that the wood will make you sick. Theres differant levels of toxicity. This one just stains the cloths and can irritate the skin.
        Gil

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info, Gil. I've never heard that about Padauk. I always loved the look of those guitars, and Washburn is now actually making an NX6 that I was interested in. I know Warmoth has some available for necks, not sure about bodies, but their description doesn't mention anything about it being toxic.

Here's the NX6.
          http://www.washburn.com/products/guitar/nx6.shtm
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X