Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am thinking about selling my Gibson Explorer 90

It's called an Explorer 90 Double.
    It's not a custom shop guitar, but still very cool.

The series went something like this:
    Explorer 90 (one hum)
    Explorer 90 Double (one hum/one sinlge)
    Flying V 90
    Flying V 90 Double
    SG 90 (I want one of these in a bad way)
    SG 90 Double

Production was between 1988 - 1990.

Some came with a tremolo and some came as string thrus.
    Some had binding on the neck and some didn't. It didn't matter what the model was.
    I suspect that the binding was used on the earlier models, but by the end of the series,
    Gibson got lazy and didn't put binding on the later ones. (Sorta like another guitar company
    we all know and love, but that's a different rant.) But this is just a theory.

They don't come up for sale very often, regardless of the model. They have a very low blue book
    value but I think that it is rare enough that you could probably get $800 US for it.

The whole series wasn't that popular and there wasn't very many made (compared to other
    Gibson models.) But I think they're pretty dam cool. Gibson only put the split diamond
    inlays on the '90' models, the Hendrix V models and the recent SG Supremes and ES-137s.
    That's it as far as I know. I've never seen a LP with those inlays (although I bet it would look
    pretty sharp) or any other model.

This one sold on ebay about a month ago, but I forgot how much it went for and I can't find
    the auction. (I think around $800.)

And here's a V and an SG for reference's sake:

Comment

It didn't go over well because they wouldn't drop that damn ugly pickguard!
      Plus, some used a Steinberger Floyd that was a pain in the ass IIRC.
      They were limited-run production models, not Custom Shop models, made in 89 and 90 (hence the "90" designation).

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

well at least the explorer version doesnt have a pick guard [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Shamgar...

IMO, I have one, 475's are not worth very much this side of the Atlantic but very, very nice guitars though. I'm in the UK and am probably interested in buying your axe for circa 800 euros?

I'd like some more info (and better pix, yours posted here are crap)! From the serial number I think maybe '89?

If it's in, as you say, close to mint condition I think we need to continue the conversation elsewhere. Never played a bad Gibson, probably no such thing, and I haven't got one like this.

Please email me at [email protected]

Comment

Nor,

SET
            Charvel 750XL

I always the 750 was through? Or is that the 650?

Comment

For now I don't know if I want to sell my Gibson or not and frankly a Dutch buyer (I haven't placed an add anywhere yet, I am still seeing if anyone I know is interested) who offers the same sounds more interesting (less hassle with transportation/insurance and a possible doom-scenario, cuz in Holland people usually pick up the guitars themselves as Holland ain't that big [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

But first I'll let Peer Dellen take a look at it. He supposedly is an expert on the field of Gibson and he might tell me more about this guitar's origin and what it's worth or not and wether that amount of money is worth selling it for. (because some guitars like example the 475 are good solid guitars but often don't bring up that much money make it worthwhile selling it (as you lose a good solid guitar in the process))

If I didnt need money I probably wouldn't sell either

Comment

Originally posted by hal:
                Never played a bad Gibson, probably no such thing
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's got to be the funniest thing I've read on this board in a long time!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Stay off the drugs, son! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Played plenty of bad Gibsons...only buy the GOOD ones though
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

i'd buy it if i had the money [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    hm....now.......that wasnt really helpfull...

Comment

How many Gibsons do you actually own ToeJam?

Possibly more to the point, how many have you actually played?

I made the guy a tentative offer based on very limited info & poor pix (it seemed at the time he wanted to sell) in good faith, at his price, based on my own experience of Gibson guitars, always good.

FWIW, I'm in the UK, not very far away from him and transportation would be simple but that's an aside.

It's none of your business, and as I said (I really didn't need this to be discussed on the Board) 'better continued elsewhere'. You opinion of Gibson Guitars is almost certainly worth nothing to the entire world. For a fact it's worth nothing to me.

Now he thinks he's got a collectors item and doesn't want to sell. OK, I've got no problem with that - it's his guitar and he can do as he pleases.

Butt out, ToeJam (where do you jam your toe incidentally, up your ass?)! It's time for a nappy change, really.

FWIW, I'm 20 years older than you and I'd be very surprised if I owned less guitars. Certainly more Gibsons. As I said, I've never played a bad one. That doesen't mean there isn't one, it means just what I said. I'd always be prepared to take a chance on one though and my 'invitation to sell' actually reflected that.

No further input from me in this thread, relax mods.

Comment

Hal:
                        Lately I have been scoping around the internet and found several sites/people who treat the Gibson Explorer 90 double as a collector's item. If that is true then it should be wise for me to check that theory out and find myself more info about this guitar before I decide to sell it or not. (The only reason I can think of why I may want to sell it is because in the next 3 months I could use some extra cash. This guitar is better than my other 2 backup guitars combined, so apart from the colour perhaps I can't think of any other reason why I should sell it)

It happens too often that people sell high-end guitars and then regret doing it. I've seen many people creating topics here about guitars they once had, but sold cuz they needed cash and now years later they desperately try to find a guitar just like it (and probably pay more than they ever got for it) and regret ever having sold it.
                        And it happens too often that Gibsons (old SG's and such) are sold for under 1000$ while the actual value would be at least 6 times that amount (ok I doubt this one will, but lets say I keep the guitar for another 10 years... what then?).

So imho when one sells a guitar he can better be safe than sorry, meaning:
                        1. Knowing what the guitar is worth (hence let someone who really knows what he is talking about take a look at it)
                        2. If he really wants to part with it or not: Does he really need the money or is there a way he can work out his temporary financial setback in a different way and still keep the guitar

[ January 28, 2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Shamgar ]

Comment

Wow! Skipping yer meds again, Hal? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                          <ul>[*]Your comment regarding Gibsons quality was based on personal exerience.[*]TJ's comment regarding Gibsons quality was based on personal exerience.[*]Both had only general references to the topic[*] This is not the classified section. Sham posted here to get info on his guitar, so as to make educated decisions regarding a potential sale.[*]You think this is bad? Mosey over to the Gibson forums and start a Jackson thread - then duck![/list]
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I've played a LOT of Gibsons.. and some of them were pretty good, but certainly aren't what people proclaim them to be!

One stupid, but funny thing I saw, was a DEEP fingernail indentation one one of the inlays of a BRAND NEW, straight from the factory Gibson Les Paul Standard... plus a scratch on the side, and POOR binding.

The ABSOLUTE BEST Gibson I've seen is a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Black white binding that must have turned to cream over the years... BEAUTIFUL GUITAR and SUPER LOW ACTION... and better sounding than any brand new Gibson I've played EXCEPT for the Gibson Les Paul Studio I used to have.

So, yeah.. there are plenty of bad Gibsons out there. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh.. and Hal.. try and NOT cause more trouble than you already have? mmmmk? mmmmk.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X