Les Paul ???????s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Les Paul ???????s

The Studio is not that nice of a guitar.
    It's Gibson's budget end. I've owned one before. I'm not impressed. Fit and finish was not that great. But, I was young and thought Gibson was the Sh*t.
    As far as the others mentioned.
    Only the Budget models I mentioned are made in Korea.
    All the rest are made in Japan.
    And are very nice Quality guitars. Replicas are a big thing over there. Almost an obsession.

I Did try the Epi elite lp plus. I feel it was a much nicer guitar than the Studio.
    I look at it this way. Why buy a stripped down Gibson when you can get a decked out Epi elite, That's just as nice if not a better guitar.

A new Hamer or Heritage is going to cost you more than an Elite. But, you can find great deals used.

Kent
    4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

I got my very near mint white LP Custom on ebay for $1450. It turned out to be one of my favorites. Plays just about the nicest out of my small collection. My RR1T is close 2nd. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Here's my 2002 Les Paul custom prototype that never went into production. There were only three made, my metallic copper one, a red one, and a blue one. It weighs 9.9 lbs, and has no fretboard or headstock inlays. Has monster tone too and is about to get even better with a Duncan Distortion/Jazz combo, chrome pickup rings, and chrome dome knobs.

Comment

Mr. Carrot, that is one beautiful Les Paul.

Would you by chance have a pic of the blue one? I'd love to see it.

Comment

Sorry, can't find the blue one. It was a metallic frost blue, a lighter blue. Here's the red one though (not mine).

Comment

Thanks TC!

I can't stop looking at that copper LP. Very nice.
              Congrats!

Comment

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] I have an '86 studio that totally rocks. It is exactly the same as a standard ecxept it has "real" mop "dot" inlays. It has neck and body binding which by the way is over the frets. It has a 1/2" thick maple top. came in the crappy gibson chainsaw hardcase. And it is even tobacco burst. I fully agree that the newer ones are much cheaper quality but I hate when mine gets lumped in with that mentallity. This guitar screams quality. It has the lowest action of any guitar I have ever owned. and was my main player for 14 years. From what I know gibson only made this paticular model of studio from '85 to '87. Ive seen a few on the bay for around $800 or so. I was always under the impression that this was a "players" guitar being a truely affordable version of a standard model. please before you make assumptions that because its a studio its crap as this "vintage" of a studio is anything but..

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I owned a '84 studio. Had the dot inlay, and white finish. It wasnt that nice of a guitar. The finish soaked up sweat and blue jean color, anything. So it discolored on me. Fretboard had file groves in it. Wood seemed to be soft and would ding easely. But, I was young and Gibson was the sh*t. As I learned more about guitars, i soon realized I had a dud.
                  So I am talking from experience.

Glad to hear you got a gem. I Had a Dud.
                  I've tried many since, and still they havent impressed me. Except a Studio plus I tried. That wasnt bad.

Here's a Pic of me with it.
                  Oh, To be so thin again.
                  http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mlkah6.../lst%3f%26.dir =/My%2bDocuments/misc%26.src=bc%26.view=t

Kent
                  4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

I'm very much on the fence when it comes to Gibsons. I can go to a store and try out 10 Les Pauls and, invariably, I absolutely love one of them and hate the other 9.

I think the Studios are nice guitars, maybe a little overpriced (almost everything Gibson is though). I probably like them better because I don't like binding on my necks.

They still make the Specials and they are primarily the same as they used to be - a flat, all-mahogany body instead of the mahogany/maple carved top on most other LP's. P90's or P-100's on most of them, which is a matter of taste. They do make an LP Special w/Humbuckers that have the "faded" finishes that are really cheap - around $600 new - but I've played a few and I didn't like them because they used a very cheap "satin" finish which is not very satiny at all...it's actually quite sticky and it looks like furniture varnish.

Still, go play lots and lots of them because, in my experience at least, you'll find they differ more from each other than they first appear to.

Comment

That prototype is awesome.

Comment

Those protos probably led to the "Limited Color" editions of the Studio:

Les Paul Studio Limited Colors

A few slight changes though - the binding on the body, no pickguard...

I really do like the look of an ebony board with no inlays though, and I wish more electric guitars came that way. I've got a Takamine steel-string acoustic like that and I love it.

Comment

Working...
                        X