Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Seymour Duncan Invader a good pickup for 80's metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the Seymour Duncan Invader a good pickup for 80\'s metal?

Chris is right. The Invader has alot of chunk and distorts on clean settings. You could almost use it as a mic. My Fender Tom Delong Strat that I ordered has one. I got it on purpose for the chunk. I think they sound good on drop tuned guitars and this mainstream punk stuff like Blink 182, Sum 41 and Powerman 5000. For 80's metal, the Duncan Distortion rocks. With a good rig you can get EMG 81 like tones out of it. All the others mentioned above will do the trick. The JB is a killer pickup, but I'm partial to the Distortion myself. I wouldn't recomend the Invader as an all out all around 80's metal pickup.

Comment

wow agreed if your gonna do drop tuning at all the invader is hard to keep from getting muddy. the Custom, Custom Custom, Distortion & JB all sound great, & i have one of each in some of my guitars, ive also recently tried the alinco pro, warmer than JB but keeps nice & tight like the Customs, but it also gets a little muddy in dropped tunings

for the neck the 59 is great much nicer than the Jazz IMO, warmer & great clapton kinda tones

Comment

Thanks again for all the responses. I've made up my mind and will go with a Custom in the bridge. Now I'm deciding between a full shred and a jb for the neck. What do you guys think?

Comment

59' for the neck

the invader sounded great in my maple strat but did get muddy in my mahogany strat. & alder is kinda like splitting the difference.

& Carrot your bridge also keeps the invader from getting muddy string thru body hardtails are clearer sounding also if its a STEEL bridge which is naturally very bright that also helps. try an invader in a light weight guitar with a brass bridge MUD

Comment

I'll say this...I put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a JB in the neck of my '91 Rhoads, and it sounds better than it ever has... just my $.02, but I think the JB sounds great in the neck; real smooth sounding, which is great for speed picking and arpeggios! As long as you buy the one marked on the box for the neck position (I think it's voiced differently). Good luck!

Comment

I have a Duncan Invader in my RR1 and think it gets a great sound for 80's Metal. I don't find it to be muddy. I prefer it to the other bridge pickups I've tried (Duncan JB, EMG 81, and Dimarzio tone zone) and am considering getting Invaders for my other guitars. A pickup is just one piece of the puzzle. It makes a big difference how you EQ/process your sound after it leaves the guitar. I have to change my EQ a bit for different pickups/guitars to get the sound I like.

Comment

Jon, not to call you out, but Sum 41 and Blink 182 rarely tune down.

Econ if you want that 80s metal tone then I'd recommend any of the pickups that these guys have been talking about. I use a JB in my Rhoads and my Ibanez, and it's a great pickup-really versatile. You also might want to look into some DiMarzio pickups too-no need to limit yourself to one brand.

Comment

I already have a guitar with a jb and find it that it lacks a little on the bass side. I also have an RG 550 with a Tone Zone and like it a lot, but would like to try somethimg different.

Comment

Working...
                  X