Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Kirk Hammett play an Ibanez Iceman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When did Kirk Hammett play an Ibanez Iceman?

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
    James played a Jackson V (Gibson styled V body) for a brief period of time in the early ...And Justice For All era. It was white and was perhaps an attempt to replace his old signature white Gibson V.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Never seen that one with Gibson style body, but James did play a white King V at one time. I remember seeing a couple pics in magazines, and there's at least one pic in a Metallica book I have.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thats right! He had one of those with a "Kill Bon Jovi" sticker on the headstock on an old Guitar Player Magazine.

Comment

If I recall correctly,in the Live Sh!t:Binge and Purge video,Kirk plays a black Ibanez RG570 in one of the songs.

[ December 03, 2002, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Axegrinder ]
        Gear
        '88 Charvel Model 6
        '90 Charvel 650 Custom
        '92 Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
        '93 Jackson USA Randy Rhoads PCS #23
        '07 Jackson DKMG Mutt

Comment

I think he does play one, but I can't remember if it was Live **** or a year and a half in the life. I do know he plays one somewhere. Personally, I would prefer his old Fernandes "Hamstercaster" over the Ibenhad. I am sure Kirk has several Jackson and Ibanez guitars in his collection. From what I hear, he has a little bit of everything.

Comment

VENOMBOY I dont think thats actually Mustaine's guitar as you can see his almost trademark (back then) natural finish Bich Supreme. The Iceman is presumably Hetfield's.

James

Comment

I used to have a poster of Kirk in his "Guitar Room" I got from an import record store in San Diego in 1988. He had a snakeskin BC Rich Gunslinger, Kramer Baretta, the usual Jackson RR V, Gibson V's, Fernandez Strats, Fender Strats, pointy Jackson HS ESP M II custom, Gibson LP Custom and Standard, Zion guitar, ESP natural Strat and a load of old Marshalls and a few Mesa Boogie combo amps. He even had a double neck Gibson SG. I saw Metallica in El Paso TX on the Justice tour in Jan or Feb 1989 and Kirk played a black Kramer Baretta during one of the songs and when the song was over he pointed out this guy in the front row in the pit, pulled him up on stage and handed him the guitar. I talked to the guy after the show and he said he was just standing there in the front with the mosh pit behind him watching Kirk play and kirk kneeled down to a security guy and pointed him out and the security guy lifted him up onstage and Kirk gave him the guitar. He said he stood backstage until the show was over and then he got to say hi to Metallica and then got booted out the backdoor. When I saw the guitar, it was in brandnew condition and signed by Kirk in silver. It was just a basic black Baretta with rosewood board and one humbucker. I saw them again in 1992 in Las Cruces NM and Kirk broke out an RG 570 for a couple of songs. A friend of a friend of a friend was a roadie for Metallica during the black tour. He set up parts of the stage. He's a guitar player as well. He got to see Kirk one day ( which wasn't very often ) and asked about his gear. He said Kirk said he was in love with his ESP M II, but had passion for vintage stuff like old Fenders and Gibsons and spoke of the Ibanez RG 570. He said he liked it alot and played it stock meaning NO EMG 81's WERE INSTALLED. He had quite a few of them and said they broke apart nicely when being hammered into the stage. Ibanez probably did try to pimp him into an endorsement. So............the bottom line is, I didn't see an Iceman in the poster I had, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have one. Speaking of Iceman..........headsup for the Darron Malakian signiture series Iceman...........just a rumor I heard. Fretles past the 12th fret I think and custom graphic paint job too. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

You figure they had a Paul Stanley model and a J from White Zombie model, why wouldn't they? Darron Malakian is using an old set neck Iceman as his main guitar and SOAD has a new album out. Darron Malakian has been quoted several times as saying his Iceman is his main axe. Now that it's got some insane paint job and has had the frts removed from the 12th down, it's just dying to be a signiture model guitar. I know if I were Ibanez I would do it as a limited run and charge like $1200 for it. Ibanez is all about business. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$............you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Villalobos:
                  Speaking of Iceman..........headsup for the Darron Malakian signiture series Iceman...........just a rumor I heard. Fretles past the 12th fret I think and custom graphic paint job too. Hmmmmmmmmm.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you serious? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X