New Project- DK MY way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project- DK MY way

In the last couple of years, I've acquired a couple of Charvel's DK24s (2016 Lim. Ed. Super Stock and 2018 Pro Mod HH) and really dig them but I'm still not 100% satisfied. This, despite my efforts to mod them to more suitable specs. In short, to get them to be fully in line with my expectations, I'd have to sink a big chunk o' cash into them as well as irreversibly change otherwise perfectly good guitars. So, I've decided it's time to get one made to MY exact specs.

Coincidentally, around the time of arriving at this decision, I caught a clip of Richie Sambora at the RRHoF Induction, playing a badass looking Charvel Strat w/ a reverse head stock. Bingo!

Unfortunately, Charvel and Jackson CS, despite having their build time down to 6-8 months and are currently accepting orders, will NOT do my build. No exceptions. So, I did a little leg work finding a builder who'd risk possible unwanted scrutiny from FMIC for doing a Strat head but whose work was on par with Charvel and Jackson CS. I found myself back with the very talented gent who built my Interceptor/Standard a year or so ago. (Pic below)

The project has a green light, the deposit is down and specs have been decided upon:
    I'm using my DK24 Pro Mod as the template for body shape and scale.
    * Alder Dinky style body with Hamer-style rear/side mounted angled input jack
    * Bolt on, graphite reinforced, quartersawn maple neck with maple board, reversed Strat head & truss wheel at end of fret board, satin urethane or oil finish.
    * 24 jumbo stainless frets
    * custom black "rolling skulls" inlays
    * 2 H (SD PATB-1/'59) direct mounted
    *Orig. Floyd Rose recessed and floating
    *1 Vol- Toggle- 1 Tone/momentary kill switch
    *Gotoh sealed tuners- black hardware
    The body finish will be a fitting (and typical) graphic done by the Guitar Paint Guys.

HEL Interceptor/Standard
    HEL Std..jpg
    Richie's Strat:

Sounds cool. Looking forward to seeing it (and any progress pics).

Comment

Wow, 24 fret dinky with reversed strathead. Sounds cool. Cant wait to see it take shape.

Comment

It has begun...

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
          The body finish will be a fitting (and typical) graphic done by the Guitar Paint Guys.
          You've used those guys? How are they?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
            You've used those guys? How are they?
            Not to hijack the thread, but I've used GPG for a Charvel star project. The body was in mint shape so it didn't need any work or mods done to it. I used them for a metallic color paint and it turned out great and the turn around time was only a couple weeks. I would use them again for a simple paint job.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
              Not to hijack the thread, but I've used GPG for a Charvel star project. The body was in mint shape so it didn't need any work or mods done to it. I used them for a metallic color paint and it turned out great and the turn around time was only a couple weeks. I would use them again for a simple paint job.
              Not a hijack at all- very relevant and greatly appreciated. Thanks man!

Comment

Lot o' progress made by Shane since I last posted. This is shaping up quite nicely!

Last edited by vector; 07-27-2018, 06:58 AM.

Comment

More progress pics!
                  This thing is going out for paint next week and the neck /inlays will be done by the time it comes back for TGPG!

IMG_6534.jpgIMG_6533.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X