Suggestions for a builder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a builder?

I have one last custom build in mind and I don't wanna wait the 2+ years for J/C CS build. Looking for a builder that knows 80's style shredders. Fairly straight forward bolt on build BUT it has to have a Strat head, not some variation on it to avoid trademark infringement. And a Warmoth or a MightyMite parts-o-caster isn't an acceptable option.

Suggestions?

GMW makes a nice guitar. You would need to ask about the strat head though but it looks doable.

Comment

GMW doesn't do Strat headstocks anymore. They discontinued that years ago.
      The only do the Millennium Pointy or the Traditional, which looks a lot like the older PC1 headstock
      -Rick

Comment

Try John at Doberman Guitars. I have a couple customs from him. He's a great guy and Top Shelf builder. he might be able to hook you up. He is a member here too.(Ulijdavid)

MOSHON
        DAVE
        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          GMW doesn't do Strat headstocks anymore. They discontinued that years ago.
          The only do the Millennium Pointy or the Traditional, which looks a lot like the older PC1 headstock
          This is correct for new builds but I think GMW will build you a guitar around parts that you provide. So pick up a Charvel neck (or full pro mod) from Ebay and then ship it to GMW. Lee's done some cool refin/repair/mod work on various Charvel pro mods, Jacksons, BCRs so he definitely knows his 80s shredder style guitars. Turnaround time will vary based on the extent of the build and how crazy you get with any graphic work. The last couple projects I've done through Lee have been around 4-6 months. Something worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
            This is correct for new builds but I think GMW will build you a guitar around parts that you provide. So pick up a Charvel neck (or full pro mod) from Ebay and then ship it to GMW. Lee's done some cool refin/repair/mod work on various Charvel pro mods, Jacksons, BCRs so he definitely knows his 80s shredder style guitars. Turnaround time will vary based on the extent of the build and how crazy you get with any graphic work. The last couple projects I've done through Lee have been around 4-6 months. Something worth looking into.
            Good suggestion but... One of my must-have build specs is a maple/ maple 24 fret neck w/ reversed Strat head stock- Finding one of those is gonna be REAL difficult. I know MusiKraft and Warmoth will build one but I'm really trying to avoid a Parts-O-Caster.

Comment

I don't think Warmoth builds true 24 fret necks, I think they are 22 with an extender piece for the last two frets. I honestly wasn't terribly impressed with my Warmoth Strat head that I bought. Best of luck finding what you want, I want to see the build when you're done
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                I don't think Warmoth builds true 24 fret necks, I think they are 22 with an extender piece for the last two frets. I honestly wasn't terribly impressed with my Warmoth Strat head that I bought. Best of luck finding what you want, I want to see the build when you're done
                You're correct- Warmoth has a shitty extended fingerboard type 24 fretter. I think I have a builder who will do it up right! Pics when they're available.

Comment

Musikraft is not really what I would consider a "parts caster" type company. They do supply some OEM with spec'd parts and are highly customizable! Even if you order from certain "custom shop" builders they may very well order the body/neck from another source such as Musikraft, and in some cases that is preferable considering the quality and Musikraft typically produces...they build ALOT of necks/bodies. I would not rule out having your parts spek'd and having a good luthier of your choice complete the build. Wont be much cheaper than a custom order though as I am going through that decision process now. Pete Skermetta is my luthier of choice...used to work at Fernandes custom shop and than with Jim Tyler. Check him out....his fret work is crazy good! Paint is another issue with a custom build.......

PaulP

Comment

It's all good. Using the same builder who built the Willy G-
                    HEL Std..jpg
                    Last edited by vector; 07-19-2018, 04:39 AM.

Comment

This is what he's done:

IMG_6281.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X