Ibanez Jem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Jem

So I have been playing for 30 years. Recently kindled the Jackson brand. Had a Charvel back in the 80's. Now 6 90-94 Gakki Pros and a Usa
    But before they new passion for Jackson I have built a collection on Ibanez Jem's.
    All different variations from 20th anniversary to my own Bad horsie Steve Vai ""Bo". Led's and all.
    Great Vintage guitars for sure. All with their own history and approach.
    https://imgur.com/a/9tzofmt
    Last edited by Jackrippedv; 04-29-2018, 04:11 PM.

I love Jems, surprise! lol
    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I love JEMS too! My allegiance is with no one!

Comment

If money weren't an object, I'd search high and low for one of the original PMCs to come up for sale, and grab it.

Comment

I've had 3 versions of the JEM- the lower end 555 which I totally modded and over hauled, a more recent Indonesian 77P BFP and one of the 30th Anniv. 777's. I sold 'em all. They're good axes and I love the look but I guess I just don't get along with them.

Comment

I have two of those DSY JEMs...still love them.....and hate them!
            www.vvforums.com

Comment

WHen I bought my 7VWH in 2005, the neck changed my life. THese days, I have two 2005 7VWH's, two 2007 77VBK's, and two 2006 77BRMR's. These necks and guitars are all within two years, all of the models of each built in the same year, and I can switch back and forth so easily. I couldn't tell these necks apart blindfolded they are so close. After so many years, I can't/don't want to play anything else. These guitars through my Soldano SLO (also bought in 2005) or my new hot rod 25....I don't want anything else.....it inhibits my playing.
              Last edited by lynchfan6; 06-02-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

So, I see a lot of you guys have had various jem/rg type guitars. I see a lot of people saying that theyre great and all but they just werent for them. I ask because Ive been looking to get some sort of rg, sort of a gas type thing. I used to have a fender heartfield Talon that was practically an rg. I think it was even built in the same factory as them. i sold it as I never really bonded with it, and the original owner begged me to sell it back to him a few years later. So what was it about them that made you end up selling yours? Just not a Jackson?

Comment

Carbuff, if you keep your eyes peeled, there are often great deals on Japanese Ibanez RGs on the used market, so much so that the snob in me comes out and I don't feel a need to pursue the non-Japanese ones. You'll inevitably score one if that's your intent. I typed up a long-winded Ibanez hunting-and-pricing guide in another thread if you're trying to scope out deals: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...=1#post1673572

I started playing electric guitar in 2001 on a 1990 RG560. After I sold it in 2004, I stayed away from the Ibanez brand due to a combination of several factors. At the time, the JCF culture of the 2000s meant bashing anything that wasn't Jackson/Charvel (with Ibanez receiving a large portion of the hate), and that particular RG560 seemed to not hold a candle to basically every other guitar I played or owned since. These factors led to my doubly sour impression of the brand. It was easy to see why I avoided Ibanez entirely, though perhaps unfair because I was judging it for immature reasons and small sample size of one odd specimen.

In 2016, after not buying any electric guitars since 2005, I started expanding my electric guitar collection. Due to the passage of time, I'd like to think I became more mature and more open-minded about other brands. I rediscovered Ibanez, and bought myself four used Japanese RGs from the late 90s/early 2000s for very good prices (CAD$200, CAD$300, CAD$400, and CAD$500). These are excellent instruments, making me forget my mediocre RG560.

I have not played or owned any JEM thusfar. It's unlikely I will ever own one, because I tend to seek bargains, workhorses, and bargain workhorses. There is likely a slim-to-nil chance of a Japanese JEM ever being priced below CAD$500. My experience watching the used Canadian guitar market tells me so.

Correct, Fender already was working with FujiGen Gakki to produce "Fender Japan" guitars. To compete with the new breed of rock guitars, Fender had FujiGen manufacture Heartfield guitars, and the Talon was a very obvious challenger for the Ibanez RG. It's amusing to think that FujiGen was making very similar guitars for Fender (Heartfield Talon) and Ibanez (RG) to compete against each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrippedv View Post
                    So I have been playing for 30 years. Recently kindled the Jackson brand. Had a Charvel back in the 80's. Now 6 90-94 Gakki Pros and a Usa
                    But before they new passion for Jackson I have built a collection on Ibanez Jem's.
                    All different variations from 20th anniversary to my own Bad horsie Steve Vai ""Bo". Led's and all.
                    Great Vintage guitars for sure. All with their own history and approach.
                    https://imgur.com/a/9tzofmt
                    Do those JEM's some justice and take pictures of them outside in the shade, or during an overcast day.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                      So, I see a lot of you guys have had various jem/rg type guitars. I see a lot of people saying that theyre great and all but they just werent for them. I ask because Ive been looking to get some sort of rg, sort of a gas type thing. I used to have a fender heartfield Talon that was practically an rg. I think it was even built in the same factory as them. i sold it as I never really bonded with it, and the original owner begged me to sell it back to him a few years later. So what was it about them that made you end up selling yours? Just not a Jackson?
                      Of the 3 I owned, the 555 was just too much of a Franken-Parts to have the right mojo. The only original component on there was the body; everything else was upgraded or replaced. EVERYTHING. lol As a result, it just never felt right and I sold it for a loss.
                      My 77BFP was pretty sweet (loved the maple neck/board) but the p'ups kinda left me meh and the trem was so-so. At the time, I just didn't feel like putting any more money/time into making it work. So, I flipped it.
                      Lastly, the 777 30th Anniv. reissue was perhaps the biggest let down. A FujiGen-produced repro of the orig., it had the old-school heel which was quite obtrusive and difficult to work around for higher fret shredding IMO. In the end I just didn't feel all tingly inside when I played it and so, out it went. Don't have any regrets, frankly. I would love to have a JEM with all the mojo and specs that I require but to do do means having one built to spec and I'm just not playing out enough to justify that any more.
                      Last edited by vector; 06-04-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Guys, thanks for your well thought out answers. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                          Guys, thanks for your well thought out answers. Much appreciated.
                          Yes Jems and Rg's. Rock!
                          My first Ibanez going back 30 years ago and still have to this day is Rg570. Love it and wont let go.
                          Under the beds
                          7vwh
                          20th anniversary
                          89 Vdy
                          7dbk
                          Brmr converted to Steve vais Bo. By Martin Sims. Same guy who did Steves.
                          777uv universe
                          Then Rbm1 voyager
                          Rbm1 voyager
                          Rbm2nt
                          Oh and a Js1200
                          Then the new loved Jacksons 90-95 Pros and a Rr1 usa

I gotta Stop lol. Its all good. Fun times and variety

Comment

No joke, but never played a Jem... But I have 3 RG550, 1 RG750, 1 RG7620 and 1 modded RG350. Big fan of these guitars!
                            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

My two best guitars are: 05' Charvel CS small batch "Dweezil" San Dimas and an 88' Jem 77FP

The Jem is beautiful players example. Life is too short to just have it sit around and mention you own one, so I recently started playing it live again. One reason I did not play the Jem so much was that my hand would hit the VOL knob all the time. I decided to move the VOL to the TONE location and stuff the tone in the cavity. It has always been super easy to play and I never get fatigued. Stays in tune after much abuse. Strings seem to last longer (without a breakage) than any of my Charvels with Floyds. The Dimarzios do not sound as fat as the Duncans on the Dweezil but I do get more variety of tones on the Jem due to pickup configs. I love the look of both but the Jem, with the flowers and vine inlays, is more elegant. It wins the beauty contest but in a gunfight, I will always choose the Dweezil. It is a no nonsense, balls out rock machine. Sounds huge and has more bite.

Owning my one Jem is fine and I have no need to start collecting them. BUT I would like to own a high-end Ibanez Geiger model and one of the 90's Petrucci's with the Cubism graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X