New Hamer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hamer Project

Aww, fuggit! So long as I'm talking Hamers, here's a little something I'm having some work done on. Another near-total remake of a classic Hamer shredder, the under-appreciated Centaura.
    Found one online that had a beautiful and rare(ish) maple neck but needed some TLC and decided to mod the snot out of it!

Started with new jumbo stainless frets and a complete board revitalization (actually, a standard part of the re-fret process)
    Next, I had the tech plug the middle SC p'up cavity as it's as useless as tits on a bull SFAIC. Then, there was the conversion of the blade slot to a hole for a proper toggle and filling in the unused portions of the slot. Finally, two small holes for the Sustainiac mini toggle controls were added.

Which brings me to the hardware- the existing p'ups were taken out- in addition to the Sustainiac, a SD JBL will go in the bridge. The tone pot will be converted to a momentary kill switch, the trem is upgraded to better version of the Schaller locking.

Lastly, the orig. paint on this was awesome but the back looked like some one had a belt sander for belt buckle when they played it- Thus, it will get new metalflake paint by Stike at ROWYCO Kustom. Sully knows and has used Stike's services IIRC.

You always find awesome Hamers. Are you keeping it the same color?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There's a Centaura on Reverb I'm looking at, sadly I don't have access to a luther to work magic like this on it so.

So how are the "new" Hamer's, I wouldn't imagine you've bought any of the imports but you may have heard something from other Hamer players? I still want a Standard and that road (if they are good) may be the only one available.
      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I'll be watching this thread to see progress pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
          There's a Centaura on Reverb I'm looking at, sadly I don't have access to a luther to work magic like this on it so.

So how are the "new" Hamer's, I wouldn't imagine you've bought any of the imports but you may have heard something from other Hamer players? I still want a Standard and that road (if they are good) may be the only one available.
          Can't say about the "new" Hamers. I've not played one though, I've heard rumblings both good and bad about them. Ultimately, the opinion most commonly held is that they'll never be as good (or anywhere near) the original USA Hamers. Much, I suppose, in the way that the MIM Pro Mods aren't considered to be as good as the original Glendora or Ontario, CA versions? A simple matter of hand built by craftsman vs. mass produced. Hamer USA had some incredible craftsmen. Not sure the same applies now.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
            Can't say about the "new" Hamers. I've not played one though, I've heard rumblings both good and bad about them. Ultimately, the opinion most commonly held is that they'll never be as good (or anywhere near) the original USA Hamers. Much, I suppose, in the way that the MIM Pro Mods aren't considered to be as good as the original Glendora or Ontario, CA versions? A simple matter of hand built by craftsman vs. mass produced. Hamer USA had some incredible craftsmen. Not sure the same applies now.

Nods, I met (Was it spelled Jol? Joel?) at a Hamerfest in 92 or 93, wanted to see if they would build the guitar that Jackson refused to build, sadly when i heard back from him it was a no go, but.. hey, at least he took it seriously. I got to play Brad Gillis's sharp pointy explorer (can't remember what the model was called) the Black and white one, not the red and black one, had his name on the 12 I believe. very nice guitar, very very nice. Too bad I wasn't making then what I make now, I'd have a room full of those guitars, god the neck thru quilt maple califorina they had come through there, a work of art.

sorry, nostalgia moment.
            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Nice project, what trem are you going with?
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I've got a like-new Schaller locking trem similar to the one's Hamer and Charvel/Jackson (JT-590) used.

Comment

Love seeing your ridiculous amount of Hamer projects.

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
                    Love seeing your ridiculous amount of Hamer projects.
                    Thanks man. I missed out on the opportunities to have custom Hamer builds made so, I have to settle for creating my own from existing USA guitars.

Comment

Very cool!

With your permission I'd like to document some of the details in my upcoming vintage superstrat restoration book. It's called "Shred the Wealth!"

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        Very cool!

With your permission I'd like to document some of the details in my upcoming vintage superstrat restoration book. It's called "Shred the Wealth!"
                        Oh shit, Axe-- don't tell me you're another one of those types who get their panties in a bunch when any one dares to mod a vintage (or no longer made) ax? Fuck knows, I've shredded a veritable wealth on modding these various projects. I'll go to my grave secure in the knowledge that I did the right thing at the right time: making an ax more play-able and capable for conveying my musical excrement/ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                          Oh shit, Axe-- don't tell me you're another one of those types who get their panties in a bunch when any one dares to mod a vintage (or no longer made) ax? Fuck knows, I've shredded a veritable wealth on modding these various projects. I'll go to my grave secure in the knowledge that I did the right thing at the right time: making an ax more play-able and capable for conveying my musical excrement/ideas.
                          Haha don't take me too seriously. I'm right there with you in that regards. I reminisce about all the money I've spent on guitars, new and old, and I seem to get very little of it back in resale value. As far as my projects go, I tend to keep things period-correct. But not always. I didn't mean to imply you were doing anything unwise, your Hamer collection is unmatched!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            Haha don't take me too seriously. I'm right there with you in that regards. I reminisce about all the money I've spent on guitars, new and old, and I seem to get very little of it back in resale value. As far as my projects go, I tend to keep things period-correct. But not always. I didn't mean to imply you were doing anything unwise, your Hamer collection is unmatched!
                            A guitar's only value is how it plays for me which is kinda funny because I'm really not that good. I'ma be dirt poor if I have to count on selling off the herd for a decent market price to supplement my pension.

Chances Keeping Stock.jpg

Comment

So can he touch up the filled in pup with the red paint or does the whole body have to be refinished again?

Comment

Working...
                              X