Double Neck guitars??? need ideas and opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Neck guitars??? need ideas and opinions please

I decided I want to buy a double neck guitar. I would love to get a double neck soloist, but they dont seem to be for sale too often. So I am considering having one built. I was thinking about Lee at GMW. Ive read good things about him and his guitars here over the years. I am also thinking about Ed Roman guitars. now I know alot of people disliked him, but can anyone tell me about the quality of his guitars? Im not looking for an ed roman bashing thread, I want to know about his guitars and if anyone has had any experience with them. I am also open to other ideas too. IF you know of any other builders that could do a "soloist style" double neck. 12/6 string idea with 6 tuners on the body like BC rich or Jackson did. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

I have 2 GMW SS models and they are both great players. So my vote is for Lee to make you a soloist style double neck.

Comment

Carvin might, too.

Comment

thanks for the ideas! I called carvin today, and they start at $7000 for a double neck. NOT gonna happen. I talked with GMWand they dont offer a headstock to do 12 string, so thats kinda not happening either. I would like to go that route, but its not an option.

So back to the drawing board.....

any other ideas????

Comment

Good luck to you. I've always wanted a 6/12 doubleneck soloist. Never found one, and probably will never find one at a price I'm willing to pay. I've given up on the idea by now, but I still really want one!

Found this one, but unfortunately it's a 6/7 not a 6/12...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Double-Neck-After-Market-Jem-Body-Dimarzio-IBZ-Puzzle-Swirl-7-6-String-/282315070086?hash=item41bb4a1a86:g:PYcAAOSwa~BYRdn c

Comment

Sup Tone! Maybe it'd be worth asking Sully?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Sup Tone! Maybe it'd be worth asking Sully?
              excellent idea! I sent him a request for qoute.

Comment

I had a 6/12 Jackson Soloist with the Siamese headstock for a while that I picked up as a favor for a friend. Great guitar but unless you're doing live covers of Stairway or some old Zebra tunes I'm not sure why anyone would want one. They're kind of unwieldy. Neat for a collector but I don't think I'd commission one as a player.

If I were thinking about dropping the sort of cash it would cost to have one built I'd probably spend a grand first on an Ibanez or Epiphone to see if it was really what I wanted. For ~$3k you can get a Gibson ES and you'd probably get most of your money back if you didn't like it. Dean makes a doubleneck Mustaine V, they might do a custom superstrat style one. Given what it's going to cost I'd probably check with Suhr too. Heck in this sort of price range there are a ton of great boutique builders that might take it on.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Might look at Warmoth. They have a double neck Strat in their body builder and you'll get instant pricing for the options you select. You can also spec out the necks in their neck builder.
                  I played a Jackson Siamese double once and it weighed a ton! I couldn't imagine playing it standing up. It was like having two Les Pauls on my shoulder. I realize that they all might not be that heavy, but it's something to think about.
                  In any case doubles are pretty cool!

Comment

how about a normal headstock and 6 of the tuners on the body bc rich style for the 12 string neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Chavelfan View Post
                      Might look at Warmoth. They have a double neck Strat in their body builder and you'll get instant pricing for the options you select. You can also spec out the necks in their neck builder.
                      I played a Jackson Siamese double once and it weighed a ton! I couldn't imagine playing it standing up. It was like having two Les Pauls on my shoulder. I realize that they all might not be that heavy, but it's something to think about.
                      In any case doubles are pretty cool!
                      forgive me for reviving an old thred.

skip to 6:14

No strap, no eyes and behind the head!

Comment

Buy Or play an Epi set neck doubleneck to see if you really want one. I own a late 60 EDS1275 and will never sell it.but I haven't used it for a long time just get heavy. I used to know someone that had a Jackson soloist DN and wanted to buy it but he had already sold it for $1500.

Comment

Why not do a 1 charvel 1 Jackson neck beast?
                          no sig.....

Comment

Working...
                          X