NGD- Fernandes Revolver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD- Fernandes Revolver

Ahhh, sustain-y, shreddy goodness. Another fine example of those well crafted, Korean made guitars.

Funny story (and then on to the review): Saw Vai and Satch using on-board sustainers in their respective axes @ G4 Experience this August and decided I needed to try one, too. So, I did a little research and decided to put one in an ax rather than buy a sustainer ax as none of them really appealed to me and I couldn't be certain of the playability of it. Let's just say it didn't pan out and I ended up with two nice Jacksons that will not be staying in the herd. So, I changed my tactic and started looking for a guitar that came factory equipped and at the suggestion of a trusted source- looked into Fernandes. Decided, after some more research, on a Revolver Elite JP but could NOT f-ing find one anywhere. So, this weekend I went to the nearby Bee3 Vintage Guitar Show and lo and behold, there's a booth from NJ that had no less than 6 pristine, still-have-the-plastic-on-'em, new Revolver Elites. In various colors no less. Here's the kicker- the guy's trying to blow them out at half the list with hard case. Fuck yeah!! So I tried one thru a Bugera and despite the craptastic factory set up (strings a half mile off the board, lousy intonation etc) it played well enough that I was gonna pull the trigger.

So, on to the review:

As stated, a real quality Korean made (presumably WMI?) ax with great attention to detail, glitzy bling (binding and inlay) and some nifty hardware- locking tuners, a Gotoh Lic'd Floyd and of course the Fernandes Sustainer. Frankly, I'd prefer it without the Abalone binding (hence the Elite JP preference) but as a test vehicle for a sustainer, it's remarkably playable.

The neck is a comfy C and despite my aversion to most bound necks, this one isn't too bad. The fretwork is pretty decent albeit with some protruding ends above the neck joint. Not a huge issue given no one gets their hands up there anyway. Medium jumbo frets will be replaced eventually with jumbo stainless steel.

Normally I'm not a fan of EMG 51's but this one sounds pleasantly warm in the 'hog body. The set maple neck and ebony board give it some nice spank.

The Gotoh style lic'd trem was the greatest disappointment though. Easily remedied with either a OFR or a Schaller Lock Meister both of which I have.

Specs:
    Body: 5A Quilted Maple Top + Mahogany Back
    Neck: Maple, Set Neck Through
    Fingerboard: Ebony, 25 1/2" Scale,
    24 Jumbo Frets, 14" Radius, Abalone Diamond Shape Inlays
    Nut: Locking 1 5/8"
    Tuning Gears: Die Cast
    Bridge: Floyd Rose Licensed Tremolo
    Features: FERNANDES SUSTAINER SYSTEM
    Controls: 3-Way Toggle Switch, SUSTAINER ON/OFF
    & Mode Switches, 1 Volume, 1 Tone
    Pickups: Neck : SUSTAINER, Bridge : EMG-81

IMG_1889.jpg

So, this weekend I went to the nearby Bee3 Vintage Guitar Show and lo and behold, there's a booth from NJ that had no less than 6 pristine, still-have-the-plastic-on-'em, new Revolver Elites. In various colors no less. Here's the kicker- the guy's trying to blow them out at half the list with hard case.
    Damn....great score! Happy NGD with that one, man!!!

Comment

Holy cow, that is gorgeous!

Comment

So, I swapped the Gotoh Lic'd Floyd for a real deal OFR. The difference is profound and yet not at all unexpected. Plays incredibly! Now my appetite for a Revolver Elite JP is severely whetted.

Comment

How about a close-up shot of the back of the headstock ? Curious what factory is actually making these.

Comment

The half peeled away sticker read: Made in Korea

Comment

Guessing from that serial number, 2010 model ? By 2010 the only real manufacturers that were left in Korea were World and UnSung. Based upon that font and the other stickers, I'm guessing UnSung was the builder.

Comment

Working...
              X