NGD Sully 624T!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Sully 624T!!

Mods, not sure if this should be elsewhere, but as it's neither Charvel nor Jackson figured this is probably the best place to put this.
    I posted up an extensive NGD post on SSO with lots of pics, but will reiterate some of the highlights here.

Specs:
    • Alder body
    • 3 piece Maple neck
    • Bird's Eye Maple fretboard
    • Offset slash inlays
    • 12-16" Compound radius
    • Thin C/D profile
    • Speed neck thinness
    • Direct Mount pickups
    • 1 Volume/3 Way toggle
    • Original Floyd Rose
    • Hipshot open gear tuners
    • Stainless Steel jumbo frets
    • Oiled neck and fretboard
    • Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient PUPs

The quick rundown:

Overall impression: My expectations for Sully and this guitar were really high. I'm not one to really roll the dice typically on builders whose guitars I haven't had the chance to play. But given our mutual love and respect for everything under the Grover Jackson umbrella, I figured I knew who I was talking to. And I was correct.
    This guitar is amazing. The woods are top notch, the build is intelligently planned and expertly executed. I truly feel like this is a collaboration between Sully and myself which paid off. Requesting non-standard options (strat-esque round overs, for example) don't always go well and I think Sully was thinking twice about some of my options, but he bounced back to me with a lot of cool suggestions (offset slash inlays, for example). It seems like both of us are really happy as this build has led, in part, towards the launch of a 624T Limited Production run. I would encourage getting on it!
    I had high expectations and Sully surpassed them.

"The Charvel Killer"
    Sully might not be stoked on my language here, but this is how I feel and I think it's particularly relevant to this forum. I would certainly consider myself an ESP guy, but I'm not exclusive in that regard. What draws me to the Jackson/Charvel world is primarily Dinkys, So Cals and San Dimas models (though Warriors, RRs and KVs have a special place as well).
    I love the straightforward metal machine that a DK1 is. I love the "comfort food" aesthetic of the SD/SC models and the imprint they have in my mind as a child of "Headbanger's Ball". I bought this because the SD Style 2 was a grail guitar for me, but next to my SD Style 1s, it just never felt as comfortable. I love the tele looks, but don't care for the tele "slab" feel. The SD2 and I parted ways, but I kept on searching.
    I knew of Sully from watching his videos for years and ended up stalking the brand, feeling it out and pestering a couple people who had gotten guitars. The 624T looked like my option for getting the SD2 kind of "supertele" that I wanted but wasn't going to get from a production Charvel and also not from a Custom Select line. Some talks with Sully and I pulled the trigger.
    10 months later, I have my answer. And it is awesome.
    Sully knows comfort and contours are comfort in spades. Let's run down the list: forearm contour, gut cut, Sully's innovative leg contour, and this beautifully sculpted neck heel/horn.

I've been kind of an evangelical Charvel player for years. To me, they have some of the most comfortable necks and the SD/SC style is just awesome. I've told naysayers about how the unflinching resolve of keeping a non-contoured, bulky neck joint is a Charvel thing and that I don't mind it. That was true right up until I realized it didn't have to be.
    The Sully neck joint is like a glove.

And I love it. For Charvel's perspective, maybe I love it a little too much.

Here's the thing: everything I love about Charvel comes down to comfort: the shape, the contours, the round edges, the neck, and, of course, dual humbuckers and a Floyd. What I love about Jackson comes down to shred: Dinky neck shape, thinness, and, again, dual humbuckers and a Floyd. That's where they get their edge.
    This Sully build has everything that I look for from all of those models in one guitar.
    I think any Jackson and/or Charvel player who feels a Sully neck, particularly this C/D profile, will know immediately, "here's a dude who gets the draw" of both brands and can really spec it out wisely. It has a 12-16" compound radius, but there's a distinct Jackson feel to it: like someone took my all time favorite DK1's neck and thinned it down and oiled it perfectly.
    You combine that neck with this contoured body and it's the perfect combination of classically metallified looks with amazing modification and it's got it all. It's a shred guitar that isn't over the top and feels very organic and natural.
    While I bought this guitar to play nicely with my So Cal, it's kind of taking over the playground.

Considering that this is priced comparably to US Jackson and Charvel models and how much customization you can do, I can't encourage Jackson and Charvel fans, in particular, enough to try a Sully out any chance possible and get in before everyone else realizes that they're getting much more guitar than they're paying for right now.

Congrats. It's a looker. Glad to hear how satisfied you are with it.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Cool review, thanks for sharing the details. And congrats on the very cool Sullyaxe!

Comment

Amazing guitar ya got there sir! Play the hell out of that one!

Comment

Congrats. Very jealous!
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Sully makes good stuff. Got a chance to play his stuff at NAMM and was impressed.

Comment

That looks so badass. Congrats feraledge, and well done Sully!

Comment

Beautiful guitar and great review. I have to say, when I saw this guitar in the email for the limited production run it made me want to learn more about them. Sully knew what he was doing building it and using it to promote the limited run.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

That's a great color
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

Comment

that is BAD-ASS!!! Sully is a great builder, I got to play one of his 624 models recently, and was blown away by how good it is!

Comment

Sully is the Man. I really enjoy watching him create great guitars. I hope to own one in the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X