Acoustic/Electric Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic/Electric Recommendations?

Thinking of picking up another acoustic/electric. Preferences would be for a lower cutaway style, good electronics, plays "like" an electric with good action and a flat-ish fretboard. Otherwise, reasonably flexible. Willing to spend say $750 to $1,500-ish, either new or used.

Anyone have some good recommendations for this?

Taylor. They play like electrics (and they actually do make electrics too, versatile sounding ones). I've owned four (two USAs, two Mexican) and were so easy to set up and play with low action.

The all-solid series (300 Series and up) are made in USA and can be had for under $1500 with OHSC (used), but will likely be 300/400/500 Series and nothing higher. Still, there are plenty of choices if that's your target.

The 100 and 200 Series are made in Tecate (Mexico) and only have solid tops with laminated back/sides but can be had for much less. I got two in mint condition for under CAD$700 FOR BOTH in 2014.

Taylor is part of the "big three" in the acoustic industry: Martin, Gibson, and Taylor. Taylor's general sound is considered bright compared to the other two. Of the three, they are generally the most progressive/innovative, and generally the most conducive to being amplified/electrified. I'm not gonna generalize and say that Gibson and Martin are "stuck in their old ways" but they are obviously doing well with their more traditional approach. I don't blame them; both companies are rooted in rich history. Taylor is a younger company (40 years?) so they can take a few more risks... but we've yet to see exotic features like fanned frets.

If I sound like an infomercial for Taylor, know that I don't currently own any (I own zero "good" acoustics right now) and they just happen to be the acoustic brand about which I know most because I've played more of them and read more about them than any other, much like I'm probably most familiar with Jackson/Charvel in the electric world because that's what I like. I have no opposition to the other brands I've tried.

EDIT: Had to add "used" to my second paragraph. I don't buy new. Hence why so cheap.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-08-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the Yamaha APX series acoustic/electrics.
      Very versatile, comfortable and great sound quality.
      Unfortunately Yamaha has all but abandoned the product line.
      If you can find an APX900 series, give it a try. The current 500 series are decent, but cheap electronics has killed it.

I agree with NOTP, Taylor makes great acoustic/electrics. I played a 310ce at Phoenix GC, and was very impressed. Drool worthy.
      Unfortunately my wallet wasn't having any of it.
      -Rick

Comment

gibson chet atkins sst

Comment

Yeah, Taylor is on my "must check out" list. Heard good things about Yamaha and Takamine, too.

The Gibbys are a no-go for me, though. Sorry, but I have not been able to get along with their short scale necks.

Comment

Again, not to sound like I'm pimping Taylor, but they have free touring events (clinics) that people can attend. I went to one (Taylor Road Show: https://www.taylorguitars.com/events/all) hosted by a local music store in 2014 during my acoustic-only phase and it's basically a mini-concert, brand history lesson, workshop to discuss their latest innovations, and "petting zoo" for their product line, all in one, with prizes for audience participation. There were two or three dozen high end, custom shop, and one-off Taylors that you can admire and play. It's nice being able to hold and play a $6000 guitar but honestly you hit a point of diminishing returns once you get past the 800 Series Taylors. Guitars are usually offered a discount (something like 10% off) on anything you want to buy that night.

Gibson used to have the Gibson Bus but I don't think they tour any longer. Their last tweet was in 2013: https://twitter.com/gibsonbus

Martin's clinics are called the Martin Experience: https://www.martinguitar.com/martin-experience/

Comment

Carvin

Comment

Working...
              X