Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most affordable one-hum Strat? (Floyd optional)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most affordable one-hum Strat? (Floyd optional)

What is the most affordable one-hum Strat (Floyd optional), preferably with just one volume knob and no other controls?

Used Charvel Model 1 and/or Charvel Model 2?

Other brand?

Build my own (Warmoth or other Strat-compatible parts)?

As you can tell, I'm looking for a stripped down speed/tone machine.

Thank you!

How much are you looking to spend? "Affordable" is all relative. I've played a lot of single hum guitars, some are better than others. Let me know if there is anything else specific you are looking for and I can maybe pass along a couple options.

Comment

The best (and cheapest) I have ever had is a second-hand Mexi Strat that I bought. I got a single hum p/g without controls drilled. I drilled my own volume pot location, installed an SD Custom/Custom, wired it up and was all set! Total investment was less than $400. Of course, not everyone likes the fender radius/neck profile, but it works well for me. I didn't want a Floyd or a whammy of any sort, so it worked for me.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Ltd

Comment

Squier Tom DeLonge?
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Bc rich Gunslinger?
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              Bc rich Gunslinger?
              The MIK versions, yeah. They MIC versions are TOO cheap, so pass on those.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                Squier Tom DeLonge?
                +1

Those Tom DeLonge were first of the mexistrats and they were really freaking awesome back then. I haven't played any MIM stuff that actually compares to those first run DeLonge strats. I almost bought one several different times, but no Floyd is what killed it for me. I wish I would have bought one and Floyded it.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  The MIK versions, yeah. They MIC versions are TOO cheap, so pass on those.
                  Yeah, the MIK neckthru stuff is what you really want to get, but the prices on those are fairly high. A couple of years ago they were blowing out inventory for super cheap. The Gunslingers were selling for the mid $300's in blowout mode... now they're nearly double that. They still have deals for those every once in a while. I wish I would have bought one of the Schuldiner Stealths when they were selling for under $500 new. I'm glad I bought my 7 string Stealth, it's probably my favorite guitar right now...
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Like others have said, a BC Rich gunslinger (Korean version) is a good option. Those came stock with an OFR and Dimarzio pickup. A model 1 and model 2 are also great options depending if you want a v trem or Floyd bridge. If you get one of those, I would suggest having someone strip the gloss finish off the neck and fingerboard. I just did that to a model 1 that GMW refinished for me and it makes a huge difference in the feel of the neck. Here's a few others to check out.

- Charvel Journeyman - very underrated guitar, it's very light with a thin neck. These came stock with a vtrem and Seymour Duncan JB along with a switch for a coil split.
                    - Jackson DK2LE - These are a little tough to find since they only made 24 of them in the limited run. But it was a great guitar. Nice DK2 feel with a maple/maple neck and EMG 81 pickup. I'm not a huge EMG fan but this is the only guitar I had that I left the EMG in it since it sounded so good.
                    - Charvel star DST3 - I haven't liked too many of the desolation series guitars but I like the feel of this star. I know the star shape isn't for everyone but you can get one of these for around $250 or less. The pickup and electronics are decent but at this price you can swap in an SD and have a great player.
                    - Charvel Chrome Rod - a nice pro mod wildcard if you want something with a little more flash.

Comment

Squier Hello Kitty Strat?
                      Mine's surprisingly good for a "novelty", and cheap enough that you can drop your favourite metal monster pickup in there!

Comment

Used Charvel SoCal, then swap the pickguard for a single-hum layout.

Comment

While they may not always be the cheapest, I'm partial to old Model series Charvels. Hands down my favorite necks. I love the Model 1 best of all. I recently found one in rough cosmetic shape for a restoration project this spring and summer. Being nearly 30 years old, they may be rough and need work, unlike a new guitar, but I've found that they are very loud and resonant guitars. My M3 oozes great tone. Even the beater M1 has a nice deep tone as is.

I bought my niece a Peavey Rockmaster one-hum and aside from slipping out of tune, it intonates, plays, and sounds very good. Kids these days have it made compared to the junk guys our age had to start with, LOL.

Comment

buy an old USA BCR ST-iii and strip the singles and the rest of the controls out of it. they can be had real cheap and smoke everything in their price range. IMO they are as good as my USA jackson bolt ons.

Comment

Working...
                            X