BC Rich Experts - History/Connection with Grover Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Rich Experts - History/Connection with Grover Jackson

I know there are a few BC Rich experts here. I also just noticed that the BC Rich(Players) Forum is now gone.

What was the connection between Grover Jackson, Bernie Rico and the San Dimas and Ontario factories ? I know Grover and Bernie were good friends and Bernie actually taught Grover how to build neck-thru guitars. I've seen pictures from inside the Jackson USA shop(probably late 80's or early 90's) with boxes full of Jackson USA necks and a few BC Rich USA necks sitting right there in the same boxes.

When and what exactly did Jackson USA build for BC Rich ? How early was the relationship ? Did the San Dimas factory build some BC Rich parts/necks as early as 1980/81 ?

The early BCR bolt ons 79-80 maybe 81 were made by charvel/Jackson. They were Charvel prepro specs w BCR shapes but for reason they weren't that good. They can be had cheap since no one wants them and they have a reputation for crappy necks. I've played a few don't like them at all not sure why there is something just not right w most of them. The Phoenix eagle shaped is probably the nicer of the 3. And I only have pre 88 BCRs and jacksons.

Comment

Hmmm, that's strange. I wonder why the 1979-81 Pre-pro Charvels are so highly regarded and the BC Rich's are looked down upon ? I did read somewhere else about problems with the necks twisting. I found a 1980 Bich that is all Charvel right down to the Stars vintage brass trem. I was thinking about trying to pick it up but not sure what it's worth.

Comment

From the Moser Shredder forum:

As early as 1976 or 1977, Rico also began to assemble some American-made economy versions of his guitars. One of these was the Son of a Rich, which was basically a bolt-neck Bich. At least some of these had necks and bodies which were made by Wayne Charvel, who was in the parts business at the time. The Charvel necks would be carved on his machine and sent over the the B.C. Rich factory. The necks would then undergo a final shaping to Rico's design, and then be fitted to the bodies.

Comment

There have been pictures here of the J/C custom shop from the 90s - Ontario era - where you can see some BC Rich necks in build stage racks, too. So that relationship extended well past the 80s. Never heard for sure, but I suspect it was on/off contract work done as it came. Wasn't necessarily a continuous thing throughout.

Comment

BCRs were built in Southern California and Mexico (BC South shop in/near Tijuana). BCR didn't like to talk about BC South publicly, especially in the late 90's through present day. But there's undeniable proof it existed.

BCR also had a few other shops doing work in the 2000's for them. So Jackson relationship? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

There's a book about the early days of BCR being written:
            https://www.facebook.com/bcrichlegacybook/

The author is doing a ton of research and should be able to put all the rumors to rest. He's usually fairly quick to respond to stuff so maybe ask him.

Comment

Working...
            X