Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD!!! New Vintage-y Boutique Guitar....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD!!! New Vintage-y Boutique Guitar....

So a gent comes in the shop asking if we bought "used guitars". He said he was a bassist and had some 80's era guitars that he was looking to move to get holiday money. I said, sure we do buy on occasion, but lately, it really depends on whether or not the item is "interesting".

He said "I have an Ibanez bass an an 80's shredder." Now I knew The Store would have minimal interest in those items this month, but I offered to take a look anyway. The bass was a beat down Ibanez Road Gear with active pickups, missing a string, back plate, and battery terminal. Pass.

The guitar was something else....he opened the case and *cough*....it "smelled" like Rock & Roll; 30+ years of cigarette smoke & beer! However, inside the case was a gem...a 1983 Keith Roscoe Super Strat!

He asked if the store was interested and I told him probably not. He said "I'll just leave these guitars here, and come back tomorrow to give you some time to reconsider...", and he left! When he returned, he asked if the store was buying either one, and I again told him no. Then he offered the guitar to me. I need another guitar like I need a hole in my head, but this one was made here locally in Greensboro. Roscoe was the boutique/custom builder for all the rockers here in NC before boutique was even a thing. Hmmm....

I hemmed and hawed...."What would you have to have for the guitar?"
    "What would you offer me?"

Oh, we were playing that game. I tossed the lowball. "Um, Christmas is coming, I can't spend much. I couldn't offer you more than...oh, I dunno...$200?"

"Sold."

Wow.

Okay....well, now I own a Roscoe. Came with a smoky hard case (cleaning that as we speak). Trans-red stain, Kahler Steeler trem, Bill Lawrence 500 XL pickup with coil tap, and the old, and I do mean old Roscoe headstock & logo.

So now I own the "holy grail" for local guitarists of my generation...a Roscoe. When I was coming up, it was the "Custom guitar" to have. Then it was Zion....where can I find one of those? Hmmm....
    Last edited by ThePitbullofLove; 12-07-2015, 01:29 PM.

Love Roscoe's. Last Roscoe I tried to get was a Nagel on the Bay - sniped with a second to go. Still feeling the pain . Great deal....congrats!
    "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
      Love Roscoe's. Last Roscoe I tried to get was a Nagel on the Bay - sniped with a second to go. Still feeling the pain . Great deal....congrats!
      Oooh. Man....that bites. I've seen the occasional Eddie Meeks or Pamelinna painted Roscoe's every now and again, but they're even harder to find on the market than the "plain" finishes. I've seen exactly two Roscoe's for sale here in Greensboro (home of Roscoe) on the secondary market. One was a late 80's early 90's reverse head stock with Lace sensors in trans green, and the other an LP style. The basses you can find, but the old 80's & 90's guitars? They are a tough one to get.

Comment

I remember those. Never played one, but I remember the hype. When that was the hype over there Performance guitars and graphite necks were all the rage over here in the Bay Area.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I love the 80's Roscoe pointy head stock guitars.
          I had this one which is #1 of the DR Death run they did in 87-88 Keith told me it was either 12 or 24 that were made.
          This one was given to Joe Perry of Aerosmith.Joe gave it to his guitar tech who in turn sold it to a local shop here in my city.
          I tried for 8 years to buy it and finally did get it.
          Did my research and Keith told me the complete story.
          I sold it to a big wig at Guitar Center and recently it sold to a collector and here is a pic of Keith Roscoe and the current owner.
          Attached Files
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Awesome. Almost every guitarist I know that was playing in the 80's & 90's here in NC had at least one Roscoe at some point.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X