No announcement yet.

EVH Axes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The import AS's are way better than the EVH stripped strat heads.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've played 3 AS sig models and they all played great and didn't have that issue. They never lasted long at either of the local GCs. They were all rosewood fretboard models though. Some also came with r4 nuts instead of the r3 they are supposed to come with which is wider. Score a used one and you'll probably get a good one. Be sure to have the sell take goo pics of the guitar by the neck from the front.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

So, summing up

All three are basswood, 22 jumbo frets, 25.5 scale compound radius

Adrian Smith SDX
        + HSS
        + overall perceived better build quality
        + it's a bloody Adrian Smith sig model
        - floating Floyd
        - neck adjustment needs disassembly
        - some QC issues noted

EVH Wolfgang WG Standard
        + Flat mounted floyd
        + Quilt top (If only veneer)
        + Heel trussrod adjustment
        - Direct mounted p'ups
        - The ugliest control knobs one can find
        - Not much info on them (yet - Though they may be better bang-for-buck than the MiM Wolfies)

EVH Striped (no pickguard)
        + D-tuna
        + Heel trussrod adjustment
        + Flat mounted floyd
        + "Bumblebee"
        + Better Floyd(?)
        + 1 p'up
        - 1 p'up
        - Direct mounted p'up
        - Percieved lesser build quality
        - about €200 more than the other 2

The next wildcard would be the Charvel Superstock SD, but I'd rather see the orange paintjob and maple fb on the Super Stock So Cal
        and it's €120 richer than the EVH Striped, a normal So Cal close to €100
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I'd love to chip in on this, noticing that everyone's down on the EVH Striped Series and praising the SDX, here are my thoughts to add to the confusion!

I've tried several SDXs, both maple and rosewood, and been umimpressed. They really felt like guitars that are made in India or wherever they now are made, and not Japan and/or Mexico etc. I always wished they would have released ´em alongside the MIJ Pro Mods, seventh heaven oh yeah!

Well anyways, they didn't and made them in India (call me out on that one if its wrong) and that lowered it from high end (USA AS), mid end (Japan Pro Mods) to low end.

The EVH Striped Series on the other hand, are made in Mexico and are very similar to the Charvel Pro Mods from Mexico. I'd like to imagine them actually being made by the exact same people. Small differences, such as the truss rod wheel, basswood body etc, and its not basswood because its cheap, its basswood cause that's Ed's thang.
          I recently bought a Bumblebee at an outrageous price (280 something dollars brand new from the store if I remember the currency translator right), and it arrived with the sharpest frets ever. The oiled neck+Mexico to Sweden climate change didn't really help the guitar.

Anyways, before even sanding the frets, many of my friends who have tried it have been impressed. It feels great now after the frets have been done. Mine had some bonus flames on the neck actually.
          Floyd Rose seems to be an FRT-1000 (which I've always thought are great), MIG Floyd Rose R3 locking nut, EVH Wolfgang pickup, EVH low friction volume knob and what surprised me the most; MIJ Gotoh EVH branded tuners.

Anyways, those are my two cents!

Comment

I've got to second that. Every MIM EVH striped series that I've played has felt better, higher quality than the AS (Indonesian?) imports. Just my personal experience.

Comment

You guys aren't making things easier for me

The striped is a "done" guitar, as in
              -AS need to block the Floyd for a D-Tuna
              -Wolfgang needs a D-Tuna
              (I really am serious in adding that feature for some extra variety)
              Last edited by Nightbat; 03-16-2015, 07:14 PM.

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

If I were you, grab a Japanese Pro Mod. Done deal!

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                  If I were you, grab a Japanese Pro Mod. Done deal!
                  of the Pro mods, only the earlier series were dive-only floyds, they never come up second hand, and when one does (always a full-floating trem), they try to get MSRP prices for it

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

No really, from a quality stand point, I don't even see them in the same segment. The AS SDX is a good guitar, but...

EVH striped series: made in Mexico, quartersawn maple neck, EVH humbucker, MIK original Floyd.

AS SDX: made in Indonesia, neck is not quartersawn, "Jackson" import pickups, Floyd Rose Special.

Basically, it's top of the import line vs mid-to-lower line. Or you could go with a Charvel ProMod, which is similar in spec and build to the EVH.

Comment

I haven't liked all the ones I've played but I just bought a used rosewood boarded SDX. loving it. still looking for that good feeling mim charvel/evh myself.

Comment

i've played the original 3 stripe series...the necks on each varied a bit with me liking the blk /yellow the best...all 3 seemed pretty solid for what they were and all 3 sounded great...but wolfgangs sound great too...i preferred the necks on the evh's over the adrian sdx's that i tried...but to each his own...the real answer to your question is that you need to find a guitar store where you can try them all out...only then will you find your answer as to which one you really want...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                        X