What the heck have I bought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck have I bought.

Hello again. Ever since buying a PS4 in 1995 I have absolutely loved my Jackson and have lusted after a Soloist for twenty years but unfortunately every time I have the £1500 for a used SL2H other priorities would stake their claim. With this in mind I saw this neck thru superstrat on ebay last week:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mystery-ja...p2047675.l2557

I thought at that price even if it was junk the tremolo and hardcase would be worth it and the rest of the guitar is in effect, free. Nice logic eh!

It's awesome! I absolutely love it, it sounds awesome and I've never had a guitar that sounds so different between neck and bridge pickups before. The neck is full, creamy and smooth, the bridge really does snarl yet has amazing punch and clarity. I thought it may have been an old ESP at first but I'm certain it isn't now. Looking at the styling & neck heel I'd guess it was made in the mid to late 1980's.

As much as I love it, I'm spending more time on the internet trying to ID it than playing the bloody thing (I knew it wasn't a Soloist btw). The JT580LP has been added on afterwards, something bigger was on there previously like a Floyd Rose or JT6.

Could someone PLEASE help me ID this thing as it really does deserve to have someone's name on the head stock. Thank you

Looks like a Jackchin to me
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

If you like it then its all good.
      Looks like a refin as far as paint.
      I believe its a series 10 or a Dixon and probably early 90's.
      My bet made in korea.
      Last edited by straycat; 02-26-2015, 10:50 PM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm not aware of Series 10 making neck-throughs, but I really don't know. My guess is an Asian-made "sort-of-like-Jackson."
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I like the color of the body.

That neck joint...
          it really does look like how old Jacksons did it.

Hey, for $80, if you like it - great.
          You at least know that you made the money in parts, if you don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
            I like the color of the body.

That neck joint...
            it really does look like how old Jacksons did it.

Hey, for $80, if you like it - great.
            You at least know that you made the money in parts, if you don't like it.
            The colour is identical to my candy apple red stratocaster, which while it's my first and really only choice on a Strat, it doesn't really have the same appeal on this.
            I've looked at pictures of Bentleys & Dixons - and Grecos and Tokias too, tbh I think it's just another two brands to cross off the list. There is no writing (in any language) anywhere on the guitar including under the pick-ups or either trem & control cavity. Pick-ups have no ID either. What's really odd is that the wiring in the cavity is a proper lash up and completely out of step with the rest of the construction (perhaps rewired when the trem was changed?), the fret work is as good as anything else I've ever seen for example. I'm starting to think it may have been made by a (talented) hobbiest or small time independent luthier and in either case tracking down the builder would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions though chaps, please keep them coming

Comment

I forgotten who, but one of our members put in an order with a Chinese "Copycat" custom builder
              I believe the thread disappeared in the server crash but IIRC it had the same 'deformed' headstock
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                I forgotten who, but one of our members put in an order with a Chinese "Copycat" custom builder
                I believe the thread disappeared in the server crash but IIRC it had the same 'deformed' headstock
                I think it was here, but I'm not sure:

http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                  I think it was here, but I'm not sure:

http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/
                  It's not them, they replied pretty quickly though.

Comment

The headstock shape is the dead giveaway that it's a Chinese copy. What the ef' is going on with the back part of the trem route ? Looks like somebody had to modify it to fit the crooked JT-580 trem.

Comment

The headstock kinda reminds me of a JB Player.

Comment

The Chinese angle is absolutely futile, most images have been ripped clean out of Western brochures of various brands. Their only neck thru's have modern heels (because they are of real Soloists and ESPs) and the set neck stuff is all PRS & Gibson types.

Comment

It looks like it was a DIY/Hobbiest/small builder after all, the neck matches this exactly:

http://www.carvinworld.com/catalog/n....php?model=nt6

It explains the difference in quality between the fretwork and the wonky wammy (odd how it still plays like a dream).

Thanks

Comment

for the price thats cool haha enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by guitardudeluke View Post
                              for the price thats cool haha enjoy
                              I will I am going to embark on a project I wouldn't have the b***ocks to do to a £1500 soloist when I do actually get one.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X