BC Rich Assassin/Gunslinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Rich Assassin/Gunslinger

Have an opportunity to snag a 1999 USA CS Assassin/Gunslinger (also have seen them listed as Gunslinger II) but am leery of doing so based on an unfamiliarity w/ the model. I know the specs but don't know how it performs and or how the neck feels. Anyone ever own one? Thoughts on the neck profile and the Dimarzio p'ups?

I guess I'm not familiar enough with BC models but I thought the Assassin & Gunslinger were 2 separate models, like Warrior & Kelly.............no?

Comment

Gunslinger I thought had 1 pickup, and the Assassin has a neck.

Comment

the assassin has that ASM headstock, slinger or slinger 2(2 pup) doesnt body wise pretty much the same thing. typically a slinger is maple board rev headstock, assassins, ive seen all sorts of necks. just like ST-iiis can be 1 hum, but it wont have the carve for the neck plate or a recess trem route. not sure about necks after the 90's. but the old ones were the poor mans charvel/jackson, very similar to a pointy.

i got a few old ST-iiis, definitely as good as my jackson.

Comment

BCR made a mess of the whole Gunslinger versus Assassin model naming thing IMHO.

Comment

I guess when I think Gunslinger, I see this.....one of the few guitars I regret selling.

Front full.jpg
            "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

I can only speak for the original late '80s - early '90s Gunslingers, but they were fantastic guitars. They had a rugged simplicity to them, even feeling a little crudely-finished in some cases. But they had the best necks. Ever.

Comment

+1 My USA ST-III is fantastic.

Comment

Let me start by saying I'm no expert when it comes to BCRs and all their models and specs. But I own several 80s gunslingers and have played a handful of other assassins and STiiis.They are some great guitars and the necks are some of the best I've played. Here's a few things I can pass along. Like others have said, a traditional gunslinger is a single hum (slanted) with a maple/maple neck and reverse headstock. The assassin added a single coil in the neck. I don't think it is a common spec to see 2 slanted humbuckers, but being a CS I'm guessing the customer wanted the look of the original gunslinger with the versatility of a neck humbucker.

As for the neck, I can't speak to the 1999 custom that you are looking at, but the 80s era neck are awesome. If it was modeled after one of those, it would be very comfortable since they were thin and fast. One thing looks odd to me about that CS headstock though. It has a very smooth and rounded line on the non-tuner side and is missing the points/edges that you typically see on a BCR headstock Check out some pics on Google of reverse BCR headstocks and you'll see what I mean. Again, being a custom shop, the customer could have ordered a change to thin down the headstock and remove the points/edges. But why?

Sorry I can't tell you any more about this '99 model.

Comment

That headstock in the lead picture looks to be the same shape as the Mason Bernard guitars. Could this be a "transition" model?

Comment

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
                      I guess when I think Gunslinger, I see this.....one of the few guitars I regret selling.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7692[/ATTACH]
                      I had one of the Korean Retro Gunslingers a couple years back. It had a little bit of a beefy neck, which I liked. I kinda regret getting rid of that one, too. It had a DiMarzio Tone Zone in it and sounded awesome!
                      _gunslinger01.jpg
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have had several 80's gunslingers and all were fantastic guitars.
                        90"s versions I really have never played one.
                        I have a white retro one and I love everything about it.
                        The neck is a tad beefier than the 80's ones but not so much it makes and difference.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by straycat; 02-20-2015, 11:56 PM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

That's the ASM headstock, and yea it's the same as a mason Bernard, they were made by the same people, and not Bernie he didn't build shit

Comment

There have been many incarnations of the Gunslinger and Assassin models over the years. This has really fueled unfamiliarity and thus some people think they can get away with charging stupid money for them.

The only thing I can tell you is go play one. If the vibe is right, then swing for it. I have two remaining Gunslingers and both are beautiful guitars. Cheaper than a 90s Jackson or Charvel and plays and sounds just right!

Comment

While we're at a B.C. Rich thread, can someone tell me whether there's still a B.C.Rich Custom Shop?

Comment

Working...
                              X