Yard Sale Find.....Old Tele Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yard Sale Find.....Old Tele Custom

So my next door neighbor picked this up for next to nothing at a yard sale. I don't know fenders, so I really have no idea what it is other than old. Anybody know anything about these?

Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

judging by the neck plate its a 70's model check the serial if it has one

Comment

Nice find. According to the serial number it should be made in 1973.

Comment

Just for kicks i did some searching around the web.

Sold for $2151
        http://www.usedguitar.com/2012/02/02...ster-custom-3/

Sold for $1900
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Vintage...p2047675.l2557

This one sold for $3795
        http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-tel...m-1973-black-2
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Really? who would be dumb enough to sell that at a yard sale? Something aint right here.
          Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Comment

Originally posted by charvelsteen View Post
            Really? who would be dumb enough to sell that at a yard sale? Something aint right here.
            Some people just have no clue what some beat up old piece of shit might be worth. I've never come across spectacular garage sale finds, but having watched a lot of Antiques Roadshow, it's surprising how many people get lucky and buy items worth many thousands for a few bucks.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              Some people just have no clue what some beat up old piece of shit might be worth. I've never come across spectacular garage sale finds, but having watched a lot of Antiques Roadshow, it's surprising how many people get lucky and buy items worth many thousands for a few bucks.
              I am glad you said antiques road show and not American pickers or some shit like that.
              Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Comment

One of those finds that pays off,it still happens.
                I would deff like to own that one.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

its one thing to have a tea cup or a painting, where maybe there is only an imprinted symbol or a set of initials. And some things are 'valuable' because they were rare, and not churned out by the thousands, so fewer people know about them.
                  But a guitar with a clear and precise label, and with a name as well known as Fender.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    its one thing to have a tea cup or a painting, where maybe there is only an imprinted symbol or a set of initials. And some things are 'valuable' because they were rare, and not churned out by the thousands, so fewer people know about them.
                    But a guitar with a clear and precise label, and with a name as well known as Fender.
                    Not everyone knows what a Fender is and it does look kind of dirty and beat up. I am going to guess it wasn't in tune. I am going to guess that 9 out of 10 people who don't play guitar would have no idea it was a 4 figure guitar especially in that condition.

Comment

Man, makes me want to start going to garage sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharpin View Post
                        Not everyone knows what a Fender is and it does look kind of dirty and beat up. I am going to guess it wasn't in tune. I am going to guess that 9 out of 10 people who don't play guitar would have no idea it was a 4 figure guitar especially in that condition.
                        I had a guy ask me why a company would name itself after a car part.... he couldnt believe someone would actually call a company Fender. Especially a guitar company.

My wifes close friend had a guitar sitting in a case, in the corner of her living room, that used to belong to her father. I asked to look at it and she says "no problem, it dirty though, its been in that case for years. I open the case to find an old Gibson worth around 17k. She had no idea, and she almost sold it at a garage sale. She decided not to because of the sentimental value, she had no idea it was worth any more than maybe 100 bux.
                        My Toys:
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                        '94 Dinky HX in Black
                        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I scored a 75 Tele Custom Thinline at a yard sale years ago. Paid 500...sold it for 1800. I hated that guitar. Played like shit and sounded like shit. Wouldn't intonate. Why people go nuts for mid 70s Fenders is a mystery to me.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelsteen View Post
                            I am glad you said antiques road show and not American pickers or some shit like that.
                            Well I watch crap like American Pickers and Pawn Stars, but that's crap... Antiques Roadshow is actually educational.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. He got it at a sale from a house bought in a sheriff's sale. He told me the new owners who bought it to flip it went in and cleaned it out and were selling everything they could everything else was getting taken to the dump.
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                              X