Friends NGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends NGD

I always enjoy looking a build threads and think there are a few others here that do as well, so I thought I would post my most recent and best quality build project.

A good friend was always jonesing for a particular guitar I built a few years back which was inspired by the Washburn N4 Padauk model. I also took elements from the Suhr Modern that I liked and made my version of the N4. The build turned out great and for whatever reason, this guitar just is full of Mojo. Plugging this guitar into the EVH 5153 and you can easily get lost for hours. It is just a dream to play and actually raises your game. Playing is effortless!

Anyway, I ordered another Paduak body blank as a gift for my bud and worked with him to make his own version of this guitar. Here is the process captured.

As I said, stylistically I borrowed elements from the N4 & Suhr modern. In this build, we wanted to kick the lower back-end out more to create an asymmetrical look which in the end made the guitar look more like the Jackson Chris Broderick, so I guess we borrowed elements from that design as well . All guitars, I love .

Here is the final.

The neck was ordered from Musikraft. They always do a great job and this one is sick. Just another great playing neck. Premium BE Maple & Ebony built to Charvel Specs. 24 Fret, reverse HS, #3 FR Nut, 12-16 radius, thin C back profile and super jumbo frets with Gotoh Tuners. I plan to start building my own necks one day, but not on this build. I wish I was closer to Texas, I would definitely take Sully's build class.

The pick ups are Suhr Doug Aldrich with a 5 Way Switch for coil tapping. Borrowing another element from the Jackson Brodrick, I put the tone pot on a push pull. It is out of the circuit, until you pull it out, then it activates. This is the first time I have done this and surprisingly, it makes a difference, especially on cleans. The pickups are just slightly more full and bright with the tone pot out of the circuit. I will do this on future projects.

We wanted to have the jack plate on the lower side just under the strap pin, however, due to the shape of the body the jack plate would not sit properly so we borrowed another element for the Ibanez Jem and put in a swtichcraft flush mount jack at an angle just below the strap locks.

Installed a large Brass Block from Floyd Upgrades on the Original Floyd Rose and made some cover plates from the left over material.

Natural Finish is Tung Oil - 6 Coats hand rubbed. Neck has only a few very light coats of gun stock oil and bee's wax. Worked with 00000 Steel wool and is super fast.

Here are the two guitars side by side. Right side is my original build.

NGD - Good Times! My bud picking up the guitar for the first time. Overall, the guitar feels great to play and has the same tone as my original. Only down side is that Padauk is a heavy wood (like maple) so the guitar is heavy.

The guitar sustains forever! Notes hold for a long time then flow into very nice tube amp feedback. Pinched harmonics actually just keep going and do not end until you hit another note and deaden the tone yourself. The Suhr Aldrich pickups are great and I would highly recommend them to anyone. The guitar was only assembled this week, so I plan to have it professionally set up with the fret board leveled after a few months of breaking in and acclimatizing to it new home.

Last edited by Radiohead; 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM.

Looks cool. Did you consider moving the back strap location like a Broderick so the guitar sits a little more neck high?
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Sweet! Both of those look great.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Both look nice,very well done.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Wow. Dude, that's brilliant. I love everything about the guitar. Love the color, the specs....everything. Awesome.
          -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

They look amazing \m/

Comment

Had to chime in, I currently own 15 guitars (don't ask, it's an issue I'm working on...) and this latest build by my bud is by far, the best guitar I've had a chance to play in 50 years...The combination of the Padauk body (extremely resonant, akin to african drums you hear from afar), BE maple with ebony fret board and those Suhr DA pups are a match made for the tone farm. I am speechless, especially after yesterday when I plowed through my EVH 5153 full stack at 110 db. My buddy has a natural talent and his attention to detail is mind blowing.

Thanks again man, I am one lucky dude to have crossed path with you!
              All the best,
              Duke.
              Last edited by DukeOfPrunes; 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Absolutely amazing looking instrument!

Comment

Working...
                X