Robin Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Guitars

Apparently this is/was a 'boutique' brand out of Texas. And I see some fairly large price tags on them.

But, has anyone ever played one? Does quality justify the price? As an old Jackson fan, would I like them, or is it that old Fender vs Gibson debate where you like one style but not the other.

I had a mahogany bodied Robin Medley and it was a very nice guitar.
    Made in Texas yes.
    There were a run of imports too that IIRC was made by ESP or Hoshino just don't remember for sure.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I had one years ago. She was a shredder. If I'm not mistaken Robin folded a few years back.
      I have a Jackson and a Charvel and I play one in each hand.

Comment

Yeah, I think they're the same people as Rio Grande pickups and I guess they folded the guitars to concentrate on the pickups?
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I had this Medley a few years ago. Was a real solid guitar that played great.

image.jpg
          image.jpg
          image.jpg
          image.jpg
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

^^I'd play the hell outta' that.^^
            Especially like the shape of the body and headstock.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Robin guitars became Rio Grande pickups, FYI.

Comment

the USA ones are excellent guitars...they do have an import line that I know little of.

They used to be in Houston, Rockin Robbin's Music, you could go there and see 100's of them.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  the USA ones are excellent guitars...they do have an import line that I know little of.

They used to be in Houston, Rockin Robbin's Music, you could go there and see 100's of them.
                  My mom ran a hair salon that was a block away from Rockin Robin when I was a kid, I'd walk over there and spend hours - really cool store.

Comment

If I found a used one for $150, should I assume its an import?

Comment

I picked up a used Robin off E-Bay years ago but I believe it was an import. It has a factory James Bond opening theme gun barrel graphic on it. Had to get it to match my custom shop Jackson James Bond Soloist
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        If I found a used one for $150, should I assume its an import?
                        Ya never know. Every now & then, a hidden gem surfaces.

Comment

Speaking of Robins, I saw this '85 Medley posted on CL. Has some background info on Robins. Thought I would pass it along - nice looking guitar.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/4428264225.html

Comment

Great guitars ! I have a bunch of USA Rawhide/Wranglers. Very well made and if you haven't tried Rio Grande pickups, do so..

Medleys and Tedleys have that Jackson Vibe looks wise, but Rangers' and Rawhides [my faves] are pretty much non shredder guitars by design, though they do it well through the right amp.

Much like Jacksons , the Robins do have serial number/production ranges that players and collectors gravitate to .

Robin closed in 2010. No reason given, but many surmise poor marketing over the last decade and an ailing economy was key. Rio Grande is still making pickups and is owned and made in the same factory as Robin.

Comment

Humm I sold my Robin to a guy in Louisville KY.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X