New Addition to the heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Addition to the heard

Thought I would share the new addition. I have been on a Gibson kick lately and could not let this one go. I saw it listed at a local guitar shop and I called them as soon as I saw it posted. I always wanted a flame top Gibson. I am not a big Slash or GnR fan boy but this one has a striking resemblance to Slash's Appetite for Destruction Les Paul. The previous owner was a player and had a luthier scrape the finish off the back of the neck which is exactly what I was looking for (I personally hate lacquered necks). He also switched the stock pickups to a set of WCR Crossroads. I had never heard of WCR pickups so I was thinking they would likely suck. I love modding guitars but would never pay top dollar for a brand new guitar only potentially devalue it. I quickly learned the store was selling it on consignment and was a little bummed as it is always harder to negotiate with items on consignment as the music store also have to cover their costs (which I understand). I have a bit of a relationship with the store as I have purchased a few guitars and amps from them over the years. After talking to them for a while I asked them to try to make my low ball cash offer of $1,500 work and they said they would see what they could do. I though, oh - well. I got a call a 1/2 hour later with the thumbs up.

To my surprise, the WCR pickups are great. I like the Crossroads a lot, they sound great with my various amps and I will not change them out any time soon.

Last edited by Radiohead; 03-22-2014, 08:23 AM.

Sounds like the deal worked out good for you. The tailpiece is "top wrapped" which I haven't done but supposed to make the feel more slinky.

If you don't already know the date or year, post the first 5 numbers of the s/n and I can tell you.

Comment

Very nice - I love amber / honey / lemon coloured LPs..
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Love the color! The stripped neck looks a little sloppy, though.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's a beauty!

Comment

WCR's are great pick ups and Jim Wagner is a nice guy too.
            His pick ups are well known and respected highly.They run about $350.00 a set to buy.
            I have a WCR in my quilt top strat mutt.
            Attached Files
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Gorgeous LP there. I wonder why he needed a luthier to scrape the neck though. If he was gonna do such a sloppy job he could have done that himself. The color and flame looks identical to my Epi LP Standard Plus. Mine of course, is a veneer.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Nice top on that thing! HNGD!
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I did forget to mention I do love the Paul you scored.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X