Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay gettin bit by the acoustic bug...suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay gettin bit by the acoustic bug...suggestions?

I dont mess with too many so i really havent much of a clue. I am thinking mid size to small think baby taylor or big baby size.

Its been years but played an early USA Baby Taylor and loved it but it was one great one in a sea of meh.

Whats everyone playing acoustically?
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

USA Ovations is my flavor in acoustics. I haven't played to many different acoustics though so my opinion isn't worth much on this subject.
    I like black and white guitars

Comment

Find your purpose for playing acoustic before you buy one.
      MTV Unplugged playing (rock music on acoustic) is different that James Taylor and Willie Nelson.

My 'main' acoustic is only my main acoustic because it is in my living room - which allows me to grab it during every commercial break.
      Its an Epiphone Hummingbird with a set of electric strings on it - 11's.

I got it free when I was at the store. The truss rod is damaged, and would cost more to fix than the guitar is worth. He bought a new one from me and told me to keep the Epi. That's why I have electric strings on it, less tension pulling the neck.
      Its pretty, I was going to hang it on the wall as art, but it hasn't gotten put up yet. I play it too much, but I think the damage is getting worse and will soon render it useless.

I had a Michael Kelly for awhile. It had a variable set neck. It was neat, but pretty useless because I set it the way I liked and never touched it.

Honestly, I just don't play acoustic enough.

Comment

i'm very impressed by the midline breedloves...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I got the cheap Fender acoustic...forget the model...but it works for me.
          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Ive got a Laravee. Its very well made and sounds great. Played Taylors Martins and Laravies went with the Laravee. It sounds in between a Taylor and Martin. I found the Taylors trebly and the Martins bassy . Used it in my last band and everyone wanted to buy it. including the singer.

Comment

I have a Franklin OM model...its based on a Martin and is a very expensive copy. I also work with a producer who loves my mid 80s Collector Edition Ovation. Says its the best guitar he's ever heard UNDER A MIKE. For live stuff I use a Carvin...one of the solid body models, forget what its called but it sounds great pluged into a PA. No feedback...ever. I also have a Contreras model 4 classical.

No easy way to shop for an acoustic. You gotta run the racks. Just ignore the brand name and play everything in your price range that you can.

Comment

I have a Made in Indonesia Yamaha F 310 and its sounds great.
                I flip a lot of old Stella acoustics which sound great too and you can pick them up super cheap.
                I give $30 $40 for them and flip them for $150 -$175 depending on the model.
                Don't spend a ton on an acoustic if you are just going to play it now and then.
                I just passed on a D28 Martin for $1500 because I know I couldn't make any money on it at a guitar show so why fool with it.
                Taylors are nice and I've had a few high end ones but honestly the 610's sound as good for a much better price.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Taylor and Martin are what I have. I also like the old Gibson hummingbirds and some Guilds.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I got the bug and went running around this evening and came home with a fair priced 114 Taylor. I had all intention of going baby taylor but this just felt MUCH better to me. I figure ill give it the GC testride and see what i think
                    Haters gonna hate

Comment

I never buy electrics at the GC but I must say their acoustic room is great. I bought my Martin DC-16GTE there and love it.

Comment

My only acoustic is a 12 string Fender. It honestly doesn't see much use but there are a couple of songs that I need it for. As for a reccomendation, I'd say give Takamine a shot. Every one I've played has been a great guitar.
                        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

This was a used one and the price was right so i gave it a stab i was out the door with a near mint used piece wth a great hard bag and a couple sets of elixers for under 450.
                          Haters gonna hate

Comment

very nice, cman. I couldn't walk away from a nice Taylor for that price.

me, I'm playing a couple of Badens - a D-style and an A-style
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Fair deal indeed.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X